Sofa bed

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

CuJo's Pride

Sofa bed

Post by CuJo's Pride »

I'm trying to make the sofa bed more comfortable to sleep on. It appears to be a 3/4 size bed when pulled out. What do any of you do to make it comfy? I bought a full size Euro bed but it hung over a foot so that's not going to work. I figured that would be easy to stow away but now I'm stumped. We sleep in the cabover normally.

Suggestions welcome.

Jo
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle
Ray

Re: Sofa bed

Post by Ray »

When I had by 24 foot BF I slept on the fold out couch all the time. I bought a trifold mattress which made the couch one of the most comfortable beds ever. It fit the folded out couch perfect and was easy to fold and store in the cab over when traveling. I will see if I can find the link to where I bought it. As I recall the cost was from real expensive to fairly expensive and I got the fairly expensive.

But it worked perfect for me - not sure if your couch is the same size.
Ray

Post by Ray »

I could not find my receipt from when I bought it - but I did a fast search and I am pretty sure this is the site I bought it from.

http://www.foamorder.com/trifolds.html

I am pretty sure this is where I got it cause I remember first looking at the prices and saying - no way am I going to spend that much for a folding bed - and then I saw where they had folding/camping mats - looked the same to me but allot cheaper than the folding beds.

I called them, and if I recall they said the main difference was the mat was not California certified for flame retardant, or something like that. I think they said the foam wasn't as dense also.

You can go from about $100 to $600 pretty fast - Like I said I stayed on the cheap side cause I wasn't going to use it everyday of the year.

Hope this helps or gives you something to think about - Ray

You will have to check that all out - I see they have a link for the mat in the upper right corner.

Any how I got the mat with the denim cover and it work fantastic for me.
sw23185

Post by sw23185 »

[ deleted ]
Last edited by sw23185 on Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

Thank so much for all your help. I think the temporary fix with the "mattress" is going to be my best option until retirement and there's time to change things. Someday I'm going to be recovering or replacing the chairs and sofa but I need to buy some time before that happens.. I'm ordering a mattress today. Taking off for 10 days in a little over a week..
Curt and Jo
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
sw23185

Post by sw23185 »

[ deleted ]
Last edited by sw23185 on Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

Wow, that looks great. I copied pictures and will hang on to them for post retirement.

Thank you and keep the update coming !
Curt and Jo
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Ray

Post by Ray »

Stuart - I see your 6'1". Have you made the bathroom door opening taller yet? I just got done with that. I was building the frame work and installing a shower door and kept hitting my head so I got the sawzall out and made the door 3 inches higher - mine was originally 5'11" - got me right in the forehead a couple times.

Btw - Did you use red oak ply? The red oak I had on hand finished out nicely - the white oak was a little light.
David and Susan Bratt

Post by David and Susan Bratt »

Looks great. But I don't understand how you can gain 6 to 8" of storage while keeping the aisle the same width.
Rover 2002 24ft RB

www.ourtravelswithrover.com
sw23185

Post by sw23185 »

[ deleted ]
Last edited by sw23185 on Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
sw23185

Post by sw23185 »

[ deleted ]
Last edited by sw23185 on Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

Stuart,

This would be a wonderful upgrade in our coach and it may not wait for after retirement. We're taking off in a week and I'd love to have it done but not going to be possible for this trip. I personally don't think the jackknife is very comfortable. I have health issues and when I need to lay down while traveling this would be a perfect solution with the added bonus of extra storage. It appears you did away with the dining area. Have you figured out something else to use as a dining area?

Jo
Curt and Jo
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Ray

Post by Ray »

Stuart

Thanks, Maybe your door is taller, mine was origanaly 5'11" and I am 6'3".

Once I get a chance I will take a couple pic's - then fiqure out how to make the pics smaller so I can post. Bill provided a link to help doing that.

The red oak I had on hand finished out great and matched very well with just a clear finish for the shower door frame - when I get out to the shop I will write down what I am using.

I screwed up on the door - I used some white oak that I had dried and milled down - I took a chunk and wiped some finish on and it looked pretty good comparing it to the door frame (should have compared it to the door - DUH!) - but when I got it on the door and finished it it was definitely a lighter shade than the rest of the door. The door had more of a amber patina. When I have time I am going to have to go back and try and correct that. Wondering if I can shelac over other finish? I am not very good at finish's yet - not sure if I will ever be :?

Your right about stain color matching - on other RV projects I have had a heck of a time trying to match - I think I finally found a good wood putty for filling holes that finish's up nice.

I know the factory just used clear - so its all about how the wood and finish aged

Thanks for the suggestion on mixing the shellac

I may have to try mixing like you did, although past experience has proven that I just dont have a good eye for that kinda stuff.
charlesbell

Post by charlesbell »

On a previous BF with the uncomfortable to sleep on sofa, I had a local furniture store order me a "3/4 mattress". Placed on top of the opened sofa it was a perfect fit and slept "just like home".
Charles / Cape Canaveral, Florida 2013 23FL
Ray

Post by Ray »

Hey, Get the massage and heat right away also - if you have guests get the quarter box - 10 mins for a quarter :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”