Cabover window

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

athomeinsd

Cabover window

Post by athomeinsd »

Hi have a 1995 model & the glass is cracked in the inside on the cabover window. Anyone have any ideas what that would cost to have repaired? It isn't leaking, at least not yet. Don't know how it happened we haven't used it much this summer.
Ray

Re: Cabover window

Post by Ray »

Is it cracked on the outside also?
Dude

Post by Dude »

You could take the pilgrimage to Humbolt to visit the factory and have them put a fiberglass nose cone on it for an arm and a leg. Personally I would take it to a local autobody shop and see if they could make a nose cone over the window. It sure would save on gas and a hotel to/in Humbolt. I would also ask if a local body shop or glass shop could glue a piece of plexiglass on the cracked portion to seal it and support the crack.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
sutter1961

Post by sutter1961 »

Hi- We have a '98 President with the window. When we bought ours used, last year, it was cracked- we were told due to extreme cold weather. I had a local glass shop (home and auto) replace it with tinted safety glass. I was charged $400 total, including installation. The window didn't leak with the crack, and doesn't now. We LOVE the window, and would not buy a Born Free, with the overhead bunk, with no overhead window. The window provides spectacular views.
ddbowen

Post by ddbowen »

You could call Kim at the factory and schedule an appointment for repair during the June homecoming event. The event is great fun and no cost to you, and the repair would be done right. Not that far from SD to central Iowa.
fourleos

Post by fourleos »

We have a 1991 that we bought about 2 1/2 years ago. We knew the cabover window leaked, plus it was warped and had a crack that seemed to come from one of the screws that attached it. Our window was the wrap around style, and I know there are other, smaller styles windows. We did end up going from our home in MA to Iowa for the replacement nose cap. It was a big trip and a significant repair cost. However, the work was done perfectly, the people were very nice and professional, the nose cone looks great and doesn't leak and the area inside the nose cone was re carpeted. I do understand the point about missing the view from the window, I miss that too. I am not sure if you use the space for sleeping, but we do. It was a bit odd to sleep up there with the big window, even with curtains. It feels better this way for sleeping, but I think the angle of the nose cap is steeper, so the area may be a bit tighter than before. Before going to Iowa, we tried to find some local solutions. We couldn't find anyone actually willing to do any work on the window, because they were concerned about making it worse and having to repair the whole thing. We tried sealants, but they didn't work well. I can say our experience at the factory was a successful one and all things considered, I would make that choice again. Reni
Mike Astley

Post by Mike Astley »

The short answer: you're close to the factory so I would make an appointment and have them fix it.

My outer glass cracked once compliments of a semi throwing a rock during an Alaskan trip. Factory shipped out a replacement and I had a local auto glass company install it.

As the discussion shows there are lots of leak problems with the overhead window. I had the factory try a fix and it lasted only months. Had the window reset twice at a local auto glass place and it has lasted a a year or two each time. Window currently leaks and I keep a wall paper trough under it.

We don't use the window..have some of the foil insulation mounted on the inside. It let in too much heat in the summer but the bigger issue was on the rare occasions that we were parked facing a multistory building i.e. apartment..felt exposed at night to folks looking down into our RV.
1999 26RSB
Fort Collins, CO
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I agree with Mike Astley. More light is welcome inside my BF but the downside far outweighs any pluses of the bunk window. The fact that few Class C manufacturers still have this feature to me is proof that it has always been more of a liability than an asset. Lazy Daze motorhomes no longer have a bunk window but the quirky owner/manufacturer includes a fake one!
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”