Mountain Driving in the Rockies

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Ray

Re: Mountain Driving in the Rockies

Post by Ray »

Wait - I re-read - Ralphs comment was about storage - sooooo sorry :oops: :oops:
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

Ethanol is corrosive and in storage can separate and cause fuel system problems . Many BF owners coaches sit idle for weeks or months , so pure gas would be better in those instances .
2012 25' rb
Ray

Post by Ray »

I also run the tank low and fill up with non ethanol before parking it for longer than about two weeks. No sure about the rest of the country but non ethanol is easy to find around here. I dont pay much attention when traveling.
whemme

Post by whemme »

Ray wrote:Power going up mountains?
I have traveled extensively on I-40 and I-17 in the states of NM and AZ where there are many 6% uphill grades. My 2002 BF 26' RSB coach with the 305 HP V10 engine pulling my 3400 lb toad climbs these hills quite well. However, one must realize that the 6.8 L V10 engine is a high revving overhead cam engine and one must be willing to rev it up to get the advertised power.

Any slight uphill grade at all will cause the 4-speed automatic transmission to shift out of overdrive into 3rd gear if in cruise control. And a 6% grade of any length will require a shift down to 2nd gear. If you can stand the roar of the engine, you can pull up these 6% grades in 2nd gear at 55 mph but you will be revving the engine to 4500 rpm which this engine is happy with - just a lot of noise!
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”