Born Free-How is it for Alaskans or travelers to Alaska?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

dvanveld

Born Free-How is it for Alaskans or travelers to Alaska?

Post by dvanveld »

We are Alaska residents (also spend time in Reno, NV and the lower 48) and are considering purchasing a Born Free. We are experienced RV'ers with many years in Alaska and lots of travel elsewhere. We have gone the route going up in size, and now trying to downsize. We do a lot of dry camping when we can, and therefore need to be self-contained for at least a few days at a time.
Are any of you Aslakans who can tell us how the Born Free does in Alaska?
How about those of you who travel to and from Alaska?
Please tell us true, what are your experiences on the performance of the vehicle in dealing with the Great Frontier?
How about in the very hot zones, like Nevada and the Southwest?
Any other advice or comments you would like to make for "on the verge" of being new Born Free purchasers?
Thanks for your help......Phil and Debbie
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

Hi Phil & Debbie -- I have taken 2 different Born Free coaches to Alaska and have NOT had any problems -- first was a 24 ft and the 2nd time we took our 26ft rear bath coach -- it works great and you can dry camp for several days with the on-board water and 2 holding tanks -- the tanks are not as big as the ones in my Country Coach however if you are carefull you won't have a problem -- as to traveling in hot weather - we have also done this and have not had a problem with heat -- you will enjoy a Born Free motorhome and I highly recommend them to you --- as to size - we first had a 24ft and when we saw the extra room that a 26ft has we just had to have one however we are use to a large diesel pusher so that makes a difference ---let all of us know when you get your Born Free --
Brent

Post by Brent »

No experience driving to Alaska.

50,000 miles worth of experience in hot climates (Florida to the southwest).

The BF unit is very well insulated. I camped in 25 - 30 degree weather a lot. The factory furnace does a good job, but it has to work hard (put up a blanket to shield off the cab area). I run the generator and use a small space heater (about the size of half of a shoe box). It heats the unit very well so that the factory furnace set on 65 doesn't come on too often).

I've never had an issue with the generator failing to run in up to 110 degree temp. It has run for days at a time (24 hours) in 90 degrees and 85% humidity. The coach remains comfortable, especially if you can park in a shaded area. It helps to keep a reflective piece up in the front window and all the windows shaded.

I dry camp 90% of the time. Fresh water is the only limit - it is a 30 gallon tank. I have an inverter installed and if heat doesn't require the generator I use the inverter.

My unit is the 23 foot rear kitchen, which is no longer manufactured. Your dry camping will be mainly dependent on your fresh water capacity, which varies by unit size.

Your ride on various roads will mainly depend on the length of the unit, the chassis (350 or 450) and the weight. Shocks and tires will also be an influence. The longer (and heavier) the unit the more ride issues you may face, as to the need for after market products to produce acceptable ride and handling.

Good luck in your decisions.
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Phil & Debbie, I don't know if you are looking at new or used but keep in mind the factory sold a lot of coaches at the big birthday bash for the owner, John Dodgen, a couple of weeks ago and has some late model trades on their lot along with a good selection of new units they would love to sell you. We also have downsized from diesel pushers and have not been dissapointed with the quality and performance of the Born Free, you are definately looking in the right direction.
Mel & Connie
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

I'll let you know in a month. I'll be on the BF alaska caravan. Leaving this weekend. Driving to Grand Forks/E. Grand Forks ND, up to Winnipeg, Calgary, Up through Banff, Jasper, toward Edmonton and over to Dawson Creek. Meet up with the rest there on 7/20 and we head out to Alaska.

If I know when/where you are, I can tell you when we'll be nearby and you can talk to at least a dozen of us that are currently doing it. We also have a member up there. Think they're in Steward but not sure if I remember that correctly. (I have a problem with that memory thing a lot lately).

So far, in warm climes, I've been most happy. The dash air cools the rig well until it gets over 90 degrees and sun pounding into the rig in afternoon...when I did finally stop to crank the generator and use the rooftop air for a little while. I spent the winter in Texas, Arizone and California and saw both freezing and hot extremes. It does well in both.

I found, personally, that the heat strip that comes as an option on the rooftop air is better at keeping the rig at 70 degrees when it's freezing or below outside than even the furnace or a small space heater! It was more steady and kept things right at 70 for the 2 or 3 days in TX where it was right at freezing. (wouldn't think of driving in Texas during an ice storm!) I'm a Minnesotan and at least here, after our first 'remember how to do this' storm in fall, people can usually mostly (haha..lots of disclaimers) keep their cars on the road. usually. mostly. In tx, I just hide until it's over!

I have driven my BF in conditions from Ice storm (Christmas Day 2005 Des Moines...anyone remember?) It was later at night. Finally parked it. but it did well. Even on ice that made me slip and slide on foot. It was surefooted even though Ineeded my ice melt to walk around to plug in. Have driven in temps of high 90s and also spent time in those conditions (E. San Diego Cty, AZ, CA desert, etc.) and find the rig most comfortable. It's comfortable without AC up until it gets very hot or humid, at which time air is a huge plus and electric plugins helpful (though I have used the generator for hours at a time with relatively little problem.)

In other words, it drives well, pulls well, and camps with class, and goes a lot of places those big fancy coaches can't go. Mine is the 26' RB and I do have the upgraded shocks and anti-sway... I just love those windy places. Or they love me.

Happy travels and hope you find what you're seeking. If you let us know where you are in AK, I will be happy to tell you when the caravan will be there (intinerarily of course).

PaT
ronpurdum

Post by ronpurdum »

Greetings from a former Alaskian We lived in Denali Park and have traveled the Alcan 22 times. My wife and I spent 13 years there and believe the BF would be an excellent camper for you depending on what you expect and how you would use it. We dry camped most of the time and have an 80 watt solar panel installed which saves you from having to run the generator all the time. If you are buying new, get an Onan. The Generac in my 26 RSB vibrates and is noisy. Thermopane windows and fairly good insulation makes it a 3 season camper. We use ours in winter as we now live in Pennsylvania. We spend part of the winter in the Rio Grande Valley. The air conditioner works well and the thermopane windows and insulation work well in the heat as well. We had window shades that match the patio awning installed and that really helps. The lowest temp we have used our BF in was 20 below. The only down side is the small water tank but it is inside and freezing is not an issue if you leave the cabinet doors open.Just dump anti-freeze in the holding tanks. I had silicon pads on the bottom of the tanks. 6 Roblies has them. We have camped from the Homer spit to the Diamond Center parking lot to the salmon creeks along the Parks highway to the Haul Road and never had a problem. Well, almost. Got a flat in Coldfoot and cost me $35 just for the patch. I think someone from Seward has a BF. Watch this site, maybe he/she will pop up. If you want more infor, just e-mail me.
Judy Harris

Post by Judy Harris »

Hi, Phil and Debbie from northern Michigan. We just got back from a 10,000 trip to Alaska in our 2004 26' BF rear side bed. We think it is the perfect vehicle for travel in and to and from Alaska. We have a grandchild in Fairbanks so we will be doing this again. The BF was a perfect size for the roads and very comfortable most of the time. How comfortable can gravel actually be ! Our only problem on this trip was a common one - a shattered windshield on the last leg of the trip on the Alaska highway. We camp in the winter in northern Michigan. We have heated tanks and extra insulation underneath the coach but we still have had probelms with the valves for the gray and black tanks freezing shut when the temp is below about 10 degrees or so. We have solved this with a heat gun, but it is a problem. We have tried extra antifreeze when we dump but this hasn't helped. Maybe someone has a solution to this for coaches that do not have a basement that is heated by the furnace. Otherwise, the coach has been wonderful in hot and cold temperatures. We have never been remotely uncomfortable. We can't dry camp for more than about 48 hours because we use too much water = our problem and we are getting better. We love our BF and right now miss it because it (he, his name is Caspar) is in storage awaiting our next adventure. Alaska is totally awesome! We outsiders are jealous!

Judy Harris
buchanan

Post by buchanan »

To Ron Perdum, tell me about the silicon pads on the bottom of the holding tanks.

Russ Buchanan
Trisha

redux

Post by Trisha »

Now that I'm back, I can tell you the Born Free does just fine in Alaska and going to and fro. It handles well on all the roads we drove, with one exception. It's NOT the coaches fault...it's the road. I would try to avoid the "top of the world highway." It's not a highway. It's not even really a road. It's a great jeep track. When I go back, I will drive up to Chicken from the south, and camp there, and drive the jeep up the top of the world highway.

though some folks did not claim to find the road difficult, nearly everyone had something break on that road. (It's the road from Dawson City, YT to chicken). By the way, the larger rigs had less problems. The 19" tires and maybe the longer wheelbase and shocks seems to have made the washboards less jarring. On the other hand, some caravan companies have stopped going to Dawson City and across the top of the world highway, because they've gotten too many angry RV owners with damage complaints.

If you avoid that one road, the rest of it is very doable. Matter of fact, I daresay, that except for the few (and I do mean few) gravel sections, most of Alaska's roads are in better shape than Interstate 35 north of St. Paul/Minneapolis going through Forest Lake, which is the stretch I live on. If only Minnesota spent as much on road maintenance as Alaska did! (Can vote on it tomorrow.)

The highway that goes through Clarion IA to the factory is worse than most of the roads in Alaska.

I know that the frost heaves are an issue, but I think they're far worse for people towing, or 5th wheels. Our wagonmaster had a 5th wheel, and whenever we had a day of frost heaves, he was warning about it, and I always ended up saying "what's the big deal?"

I have a 26' rear bath. Didn't tow. I would consider towing next time. Mostly because if I'm not on a caravan, there won't be all the group activities and bus tours, so I'd need to be able to come and go and I'm too lazy to hook up and put everything away every day. I'd rather come and go by just jumping into the car and coming home at night, everything already set up for the night.

The born free is probably one of the better rigs for an Alaska trip. I will go back. Many do. When the road gets rough, slow down. People ought to do that everywhere. We miss too much when we're in a hurry anyway.

Happy travels.

Trish

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”