Tire Replacement

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Steve W

Tire Replacement

Post by Steve W »

We will be replacing the tires on our Born Free in January. We have had enough of the rough ride of the Michelins so are now looking at either Toya or B F Goodrich. If anyone has had any exposure to either or suggestions for another tire possibility, would be interested in hearing anything that might be pertinent.

Thanks,
Steve & Sue Wolfe / Born Free 24RB / toad
randallrae

Re: Tire Replacement

Post by randallrae »

I bought our BF in Feb of this year it was a leftover 2012 . The Michelins were recalled so Lazydays took it to a Ford dealer for the tire warranty . The dealer installed B F Goodrich tires without asking anyone , Note : Ford policy is Michelin to be replaced with Michelin .
I filed a complaint with Michelin who stated that they make BFG's , and they can be used in the recall IF the owner wanted them . I said I never wanted them because they had a lower treadwear rating and were noisier . I had to file complaints for 7 months BEFORE they finally called me back to honor THEIR 30 day warranty by then I had given up . I will never buy their products again.
2012 25' rb
tevz32

Post by tevz32 »

See Bill Hemme's post(s) about Firestone tires on this forum. I can second his comments. :D
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Steve you have struck a nerve. Over the years there have been untold numbers of posts about tires. Almost as many as gas mileage :D My take is it as much opinion as fact. I doubt you can go wrong if you do a bit of research. Avoid advice from those who are certain they know the only right answer.

I had no choice but to buy Michelins the last time I replaced all 6 tires. I wanted the Firestone Trans Force as I found them a good choice having had 3 sets on my BF. However circumstance forced me to buy when I was in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory. To get Firestones I would have had a 5 day wait while they were shipped from Edmonton, Alberta. Michelins were one of few brands in stock.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
ktobias

Post by ktobias »

We just replaced the tires on ours... using Hancook tires.
Road noise seemed less and I don't have any complaints about them in the snow so far.

2005 26' RSB
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Sam

Which Michelins we have is at this point immaterial. I have no intention of using that brand as a replacement. We have had Michelins on our automobiles in the past and have never had a problem with them. The Born Free is a different matter. Perhaps if we had a Peterbilt semi-truck, then I would consider them, but from my prospective, after 30K miles, they are really too much tire for a fiberglas rv mounted on a light truck chassis.
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I cannot speak for Sam but I think he was trying to be helpful. He most likely recalls, as I do, previous post regarding two very different Michelin tires. One style was said to be unsuitable with a potential rough ride. Sam most likely inquired in the event you are unaware of this fact.

I
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

Folks,
The subject of ride harshness varying between tire brands leaves me more than slightly skeptical. The physics of the issue suggests to me that varying tire brands with same size, same load rating, same profile, and same pressure would have very very similar measured harshness. Not necessarily the same traction, tread life, road noise, or handling characteristics though. The belt material might have an effect, but steel is the best way to go anyway. Sidewall material likely immaterial for harshness. This subject can get very subjective perceptions involved. Don't run at pressures lower than tire/axle load requires, but also don't run an higher pressures than needed. Pressure is most important determinant in ride harshness.
These Fords are not 1955 Buicks.
JMO,
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
fourleos

Post by fourleos »

Hi and Happy Thanksgiving!
We replaced our old tires, which were a mixture of ages and I think most were Goodyear or BF Goodrich. Our BF is a 26' 1991 on an E350. We purchased Toyo tires 6 month ago and have been very happy with them. The ride improved, however I think most new tires would have improved our ride, considering what was on there before. We purchased it about 3 years ago, and have been making improvements gradually. I should point out that I know nothing about tires, I have learned that it is very important to make sure you get the size that is on the cab door label, but with the E350 it's okay to go up a load level. I did speak with Kim on the phone about replacing our tires, he is so helpful, and he pointed out the size issue to me. I asked him his opinion about the Toyo, he said they are a good tire but one problem is that the Toyo brand isn't as widely sold, so you could end up someplace that doesn't have them when you need a repair. Our BF was in the shop for other work, including replacing the king pins, when we had the tires replaced and they had Toyos, so we went with them. The king pin replacement probably helped with ride, but I would recommend the Toyo as a solid choice. Reni
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Sam

In reply to your statement re two types of Michelins, that has not come up in my research here in California. What I am hearing from several national outlets is that a change in tire size, i.e., narrower tire though of greater height from the ground will provide a smoother ride as it gives greater flexibility in the sidewall. Both B F Goodrich and Toyo offer these sizes though Michelin does not. And both are E rated. Will do the change in January but in the meantime, will continue to research.
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I used the search button above and found the thread from 2010 referencing the two Michelin tire types.
They were at that time the Michelin LTX ( $181.00 per tire then) and the Michelin XPS Rib ( $227.00 per tire at that time.) The XPS Rib was said to ride more harshly.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

Dallas Baillio wrote:I used the search button above and found the thread from 2010 referencing the two Michelin tire types.
They were at that time the Michelin LTX ( $181.00 per tire then) and the Michelin XPS Rib ( $227.00 per tire at that time.) The XPS Rib was said to ride more harshly.
The LTX has better on/off road traction properties. The rib is considered a tougher tire. Will wear almost forever. Some folks put ribs on front and claim better steering response. No comment about harshness.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

bigdipper wrote:The LTX has better on/off road traction properties. The rib is considered a tougher tire. Will wear almost forever. Some folks put ribs on front and claim better steering response. No comment about harshness.
Ralph
I like Michelin's statement that the XPS is a low rolling resistance tire but they make no claims regarding specific gains in fuel economy. They also make this statement regarding the XPS,
Summer tires are primarily designed for high-performance vehicles and provide optimized dry and wet performance levels in a temperate environment. Summer tires are not designed for to be used during the winter season where temperatures are colder and approach freezing consistently as their performance would be less than optimal.
Hmm. What does that mean? For me the LTX is a known quantity; I've used them for many many years and they've performed well. I get great wear from them on the pickup - not so much on the Born Free.
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
whemme

Post by whemme »

Here is information about the Michelin XPS Rib tires from the Tire Rack website.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... el=XPS+Rib

Note that the XPS Rib is only recommended for summer use - not winter use. Also compared to the Michelin LTX tire, the XPS Rib has steel belts in the sidewalls whereas the LTX has fabric belts causing the XPS Rib tire to have a somewhat harsher ride and the XPS Rib is significantly more expensive. I saw somewhere on the Michelin website that the XPS Rib was designed for delivery trucks where the driver may be banging the tire sidewalls up against curbs - hence the reason for the steel belts in the sidewalls.

I personally use Firestone Transforce HT tires and am currently on my 3rd set and have never had a flat or tire failure. I did however have two rubber valve stem failures that finally convinced me to install the Borg all metal valve stems.
Last edited by whemme on Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Just a reminder that it is always a good idea to remove the wheel covers unless you have confidence that the tire shop is familiar with the type Born Free uses on their coaches and that the lug nuts are torqued to 140 ft. lbs as specified .
Mel & Connie

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”