GCW and GVW = Gee Wiz

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

TomP

GCW and GVW = Gee Wiz

Post by TomP »

The GVWR for me is 11500 lbs. My actually weight as of yesterday was about 11300 lbs.

My BF specs mention that "GCW must not exceed the GVWR unless the trailer vehicle is equipped with adequate brakes".

So without 'adequate brakes', my towing capacity would be 200 lbs.

However, I will be (or hope to be) towing a car, so i assume i will have 'adequate brakes'.

The question I have is: If I have 'adequate brakes' on my towed vehicle, how muchweight can I tow?

I didn't see that number anywhere on any spec sheet that I have.

Any ideas where I might find it?

Thanks
1995 Born Free 24' Rear Side Bed
randallrae

Re: GCW and GVW = Gee Wiz

Post by randallrae »

GVWR Gross vehicle weight rating is the maximum weight that the coach weigh , gear , fluids , and passengers . It is usually found on the drivers door frame . GCWR is the maximum allowable combined weight of the coach plus towed weight . BF has a 5000 lb max tow rating I think .
2012 25' rb
TomP

Post by TomP »

So then where would I find the GCWR (the maximum allowable combined weight of the coach plus towed weight) for my model?

I have looked everywhere.
1995 Born Free 24' Rear Side Bed
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

I am pretty sure that Born Free states a maximum towable weight of 5000 lbs. Born Free is a Ford authorized chassis builder , and they install frame extensions and hitch receivers . I would think this is the reason for the 5000 lb limit . I would add GVWR to 5000lbs. , and that would be your GCWR .
2012 25' rb
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

I see your coach is a 1995 have you looked at your owners manual for towing information , page 14 or 15 I think .
2012 25' rb

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”