Switch on Drivers and Passenger seats

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

mrofb

Switch on Drivers and Passenger seats

Post by mrofb »

I have a 2003 26RSB. On the front of the drivers seat and passenger seat there is a switch on the right side front. Are these switches factory installed and if so what are they for?
Tx
bcope01

Re: Switch on Drivers and Passenger seats

Post by bcope01 »

Seat heaters?

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Ray

Post by Ray »

Bladder ????

If these seats have a bladder to control lumber support I would assume each seat would need a small air compressor to inflate and deflate the bladder?

Wow - I have never seen that. Are they flexsteel seats?

You should be able to hear a air compressor when you operate the switch.

Edit added:

I agree, if there is a pump and bladder and they are not working you should check that out.
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Yes, our 2005 has one on the driver's seat. It's a rocker switch - one way turns on the pump, filling the bladder, and the other way actuates the deflate valve.
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
whemme

Post by whemme »

My 2002 BF 26' RSB coach has the rocker switch on the front of the driver's seat. When operated it turns on a small air pump under the seat which fills a air bladder in the lumbar area of the seat back. You can hear the air pump if the cab engine is not running. The other position of the rocker switch deflates the bladder. My seats are Flexsteel seats.

I would bet that a lot of Born Free coach owners have this lumbar seat adjustment feature and don't realize that they have it.
Last edited by whemme on Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Ray

Post by Ray »

Wow - Thats neat, I am going out and looking at my seats - and keeping my fingers crossed.
Ray

Post by Ray »

I will add this for those who may not know, if they are flexsteel (and maybe other brands) there should be a piece of paper under the seat shoved between the foam and seat spring. That is the build/order sheet for the chair.

I have called Flexsteel on a different problem before and their customer support was fantastic, in fact they kinda bent over backwards for me, and parts were reasonably priced - I thought. But when I talked to them they wanted the numbers off the build sheet so they could look up exactly what I had. They explained to me that over the years and even within the years sometimes there are several variations.

I was looking for the slide/swivel assy.
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Ray wrote:I have called Flexsteel on a different problem before and their customer support was fantastic, in fact they kinda bent over backwards for me...
All of the seating in our BF is Flexsteel. We found their service to be outstanding :D A few years ago we went to the factory in Dubuque. They had an electric RV hookup and allowed us to spend the night. We have 2 folding sofas - one of the sofas is instead of the standard BF rear side bed. But for our taste, as ordered by Born Free, the sofas were always much too soft for sitting or sleeping. Flexsteel added several more steel springs to the backs and seats and replaced all of the foam with a much firmer foam. The work took most of a day and the price was clearly at or below their cost. The sofas have performed perfectly since 8)
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

In our coach the driver side has the lumbar support... We just found it last fall. Great feature..
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle
Jim Hofmann

Post by Jim Hofmann »

While on the subject of Flexsteel seats, has anyone had any experience with reupholstering of any of these seats? We are considering re-doing the interior of our 2004 26RB and the seats are on the list. Mama would like to change from the dark brown fabric to Ultra Leather. I have not been involved in a reupholstering project before and just looking at the seats makes me wonder if it is feasible.

Jim
whemme

Post by whemme »

Jim,

You are a long ways from the Flexsteel factory in Dubuque, IA but if you were to take your Flexsteel furniture to them, they would reupholster them to your likening.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

Sam,

Ours need reupholstered as well. 10 yr old seats just wear out. I bought seat covers and they look pretty good but eventually I'd like to recover them. I like the idea of heading south of the border and having them made. I didn't think of that. Just out of curiosity did they purchase the fabric down there or did they take it with?

Thanks
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle
mrofb

Post by mrofb »

Believe switches are for lunbar.
The seats are flexsteel . Need wiring diagram for wiring pump so lumbar will work
Under passenger seat there is a red wire and a white wire not hooked up to anything.
Unknown if they need to be connected together. Need more info before doing that.
Last edited by mrofb on Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrofb
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

My 2012 has a switch on the drivers and passenger seats . They are lumbar supports and the key must on for them to work .
2012 25' rb
Jim Hofmann

Post by Jim Hofmann »

Thank you to Bill Hemme and Sam Ryan for their suggestions. I contacted the Flexsteel outlet in our area and Planning a rip to their shop to see samples and get quotes. But first the Co-pilot has to finalize the vinyl floor option.

Jim

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”