CB Radios and Antennas

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

lassen

CB Radios and Antennas

Post by lassen »

What radios and antennas are Born Free people using on Caravans? Any recommendations and could one get by with one of the hand-held versions with maybe a better antenna? Thanks.....

Jack
Jack & Jan
2005 24RB
Taobeemr

Post by Taobeemr »

Hi Lassen- I bought the handheld radio and CB antenna at Camping World, and they installed it. The antenna they used is only about 2 feet high, and is attached to the outside of the window above the cab. Works well. The cost was around $100 for the CB, antenna (it was on sale), and $137 to install both. Took them about an hour, while I shopped in the store.
Brent

Post by Brent »

I have the most basic Uniden radio, with a Francis antenna mounted on the rear ladder (no holes drilled) - works great.
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
sandy

CB wires

Post by sandy »

Looking for more ideas regarding mounting a CB antena, where and how to run the wires etc. In the past I have used the magnets which ruin the finish and much of the metal is below the body of the unit resulting in poor reception.
Sandy
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

I do not own a Born Free...yet, but this method worked on my Bounder.

I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the drivers side mirror, just big enough to feed the coax through. Bought 2 u-bolts and an L shaped bracket and drilled a hole in the bracket that the base of the antenna would fit through. Mounted the antenna on the bracket then used the u-bolts to attach the bracket to the mirror arm.

You have to unbolt the mirror from the body and run the coax through the hole drilled in the bottom of the mirror arm and through the existing hole in the body where the mirror controls feed through. Reattach the mirror, silicone the new hole in the bottom and finish the wiring inside.

The antenna's come in various lenghts so there was no problem in getting one that clears the roof line.

Not sure if this will work with the Born free design or not, but worth a look.

John
whemme

CB Antennas

Post by whemme »

For further information on this same topic, please refer to an earlier (but recent - May 2006) similar topic also on this same forum at the following URL address:
http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... 12&start=0
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”