Towing a 2006 Subaru Outback

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

hayesj29020

Towing a 2006 Subaru Outback

Post by hayesj29020 »

Hey guys and gals, I purchase a used 2006 Subaru Outback to tow behind my 2002 24RB. I am new to towing and would appreciate any advice as to what setup to use. Are there any all in one packages preferred? I weighs around 3500 lbs. Thanks for any advice and helping to educate me.
Jim
whemme

Re: Towing a 2006 Subaru Outback

Post by whemme »

Jim,

Well the first thing to do is to look in your owner's manual for that vehicle and there should be a section titled something like RV Towing. You don't say if the vehicle has an automatic or manual transmission and if the vehicle is a 4WD with an transfer case that can be put into neutral. All these factors will affect towing ability.

Personally I like BlueOx baseplates and tow bars.
Last edited by whemme on Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
hayesj29020

Post by hayesj29020 »

It is manual. It can be towed 4 wheels down.
hayesj29020

Post by hayesj29020 »

I just read nancybees previous thread. Lot's of good info there. Thanks!
dowellcj

Post by dowellcj »

We towed a Subaru Outback with manual transmission for several years, and it was a great tow car. We had a stow master tow bar which wasn't the easiest to detach, and a universal tow brake which was great. Unfortunately that tow brake is not available anymore. We now tow a Honda CRV, which starting with the 2015 is no longer towable. We got the Motorhome mounted roadmaster Sterling tow bar which is SO much easier to connect and disconnect, and the Invisibrake whis has wordpked well so far.
Caryl & Tom Dowell
Sequim, WA
2015 Splendor (27 RSB)
Prior coach 2008 24RB
hayesj29020

Post by hayesj29020 »

Thanks for the reply. What year was your Outback? Do you remember which base plate you used?
Jim
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

[quote="Sam Ryan"]Subies are one of the few popular cars left available today with available manual transmissions. Thereby making them a breeze to set-up and breakdown towing four-down.[/quote

Sam,

Again I ask you to provide an e-mail and/or PM contact so that I may contact you privately.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
dowellcj

Post by dowellcj »

Our Outback was a 2009. I don't know the specifics on the base plate, the RV Hitch service center we used selected the appropriate one for the Subaru and the Stowmaster. The Stowmaster is mounted on the front of the tow vehicle. With our new setup and vehicles, we have found we prefer the RV mounted type. We probably would still be towing the Subaru as it was so easy, but when we decided to combine his and hers vehicles into just one, we wanted an automatic transmission for the ease of driving.

Caryl
Caryl & Tom Dowell
Sequim, WA
2015 Splendor (27 RSB)
Prior coach 2008 24RB
Trix

Post by Trix »

I tow a 2011 Subaru Forester manual tranny 4-down. I have a Blue Ox tow bar (needed a 4" drop receiver) and a Stay 'N Play duo brake system on the toad. Easy to hitch and unhitch.
Trix
tent camper
pop-up camper
learning RV'g in my 2007 24' RB
2011 Subaru Forester toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”