Trailer Hitch Cargo Carrier

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Roger

Trailer Hitch Cargo Carrier

Post by Roger »

We are planning a long trip next month and I thought it would be nice to have some extra cargo space. I've been
looking at the various hitch mounted carriers and associated bags. Any recommendations or brands/types to stay
away from?

Thanks, Roger
1999 24RB
Ray

Re: Trailer Hitch Cargo Carrier

Post by Ray »

Roger

I dont know of any to specifically stay away from. But I would suggest whatever you get that somehow you stabilize the darn thing from rocking back and forth in the receiver.

I know there are several different types of anti tilt/anti wobble brackets out there on the market but I have not see one that will work on the Born Free yet as the receiver tube is recessed back into the fiberglass bumper.

If anyone knows of one please let me know.

Also - Not sure what year you have but if you have a older Born Free you are aware of the hitch pin location arnt you?
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

I have one I bought at Cabela's a few years ago. The carrier is fine, but the bag is not the best. Unless you pack it really full, water will sit on the top of the bag, and there are some wear spots where the comer of something rubbed on on the vinyl.

I only put outside chairs, mats, etc. in it so it doesn't matter if they get damp.

I have a drop hitch on mine for towing the Jeep. No problem when using the carrier in place of the Jeep.

John
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Roger, if your 1999 rear bumper is the same as our 2002, adding a access door and drilling new holes for the pin made it easy to utilize a standard length
bar/hitch. Also access to the pin required a key for more security. Born Free made the addition while we were attending one of their rallys.
Attachments
hitch access.jpg
hitch access.jpg (35.25 KiB) Viewed 11584 times
Mel & Connie
Roger

Post by Roger »

My rig came with a spare tire mount that fits into the hitch receiver. There is a large nut welded onto
the top of the receiver tube and a hex head bolt that can be tightened down to keep things from
wobbling around. Works well.

I ordered a Pro Series 63153 60" x 24" Hitch Mounted Cargo Carrier and a Rola 59119 Rainproof Cargo Carrier Bag
from Amazon. Hope they work out OK.
1999 24RB
Roger

Post by Roger »

Roger wrote:My rig came with a spare tire mount that fits into the hitch receiver. There is a large nut welded onto
the top of the receiver tube and a hex head bolt that can be tightened down to keep things from
wobbling around. Works well.

I ordered a Pro Series 63153 60" x 24" Hitch Mounted Cargo Carrier and a Rola 59119 Rainproof Cargo Carrier Bag
from Amazon. Hope they work out OK.
Mel has a good idea. The receiver is about 13 inches deep on our wide bumper. I had to have a 7 inch extension
welded onto the tongue to allow the hitch pin to fit through it.
1999 24RB
dmews001

Post by dmews001 »

Ray wrote:Roger

I dont know of any to specifically stay away from. But I would suggest whatever you get that somehow you stabilize the darn thing from rocking back and forth in the receiver.

I know there are several different types of anti tilt/anti wobble brackets out there on the market but I have not see one that will work on the Born Free yet as the receiver tube is recessed back into the fiberglass bumper.

If anyone knows of one please let me know.

Also - Not sure what year you have but if you have a older Born Free you are aware of the hitch pin location arnt you?
Roger/Ray,

I just installed a Curt 23590 anti-rattle hitch lock. It's not an external bracket, rather an insert into the draw bar with a good size lock nut. It works very well for me with the added benefit of having a lock. I'm towing a Toyota FJ Cruiser four-wheels-down and it really keeps the draw bar from wobbling/rattling. You may want to check it out at http://www.curtmfg.com .....

--Detlef
Attachments
here's a picture of it
here's a picture of it
Curt 23590 anti-rattle hitch lock.jpg (90.64 KiB) Viewed 11176 times
Detlef & Ursula
2007 BF26RSB - painted
whemme

Post by whemme »

Roger,

You don't say if your 1999 BF 24' RB coach is on an E350 or E450 chassis. If it is on the lighter duty E350 chassis, hanging additional weight behind the rear bumper may cause you to exceed the weight capacity rating of the Dana 70 rear axle which I believe is limited to a total load of 7800 lbs.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Dude

Post by Dude »

I bought a rack for my receiver hitch from Harbor Freight for $50. I used it with some plastic totes for a trip or 2 then I acquired an aluminum truck box. I used 4 U-bolts to attach it to the rack and I have a nice storage trunk.

Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”