V10 Tune-up, fluid changes, steering stabilizer and shocks

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

sutter1961

V10 Tune-up, fluid changes, steering stabilizer and shocks

Post by sutter1961 »

Hi Everyone. We have a 1998 Born Free 24' President, w/40,000 miles. We purchased the motorhome from a broker a year ago w/36K miles. We don't have any service records. The local Chevy dealer smogged it and changed the oil last summer, and saw no issues. The motorhome runs without issue- cool, no smoking or leaking, good power. I don't want to open a can of worms, but we are anticipating a 6000 mile summer trip pulling our Fiat 500 4-down. I suspect I'm on the original plugs, plug wires, transmission/brake fluid, and coolant. I know that V10's of this era had some spark plug issues- if I go to a big Ford dealer and have the plugs, plug wires, trans and brake fluids replaced, and the coolant changed, would I be risking any issues? If these items are 17 years old, does the risk of new fluids outweigh doing nothing? Should I do anything else? I have 6 new Michelins. Lastly, our nearby southern CA freeways- I-10- (concrete) have become very rough, and I'm feeling everything, with some wander in the front end. I may have original shocks as well- would a new set of Bilsteins and a steering stabilizer from Camping World help much? I have about 30 lbs of air in the rear air bags. We absolutely love the quality of the motorhome, and we are grateful to have found this one- we want to make it last! Thanks for your help.
jlef123

Re: V10 Tune-up, fluid changes, steering stabilizer and shoc

Post by jlef123 »

When I purchased a used 2002 26' RB with 24,000 miles and several years on it and had to drive it several thousand miles back to my home, I had all the belts and hoses replaced and all the fluids changed before I took it home. I thought it was a bit of added insurance. I really never thought about the spark plug wires but suspect that it would be a good idea to have them checked and replaced if necessary. I thought the plugs are suppsoed to be good for 100,000 miles but would ask a Ford mechanic. I wouldn't have the plugs changed by anyone but a Ford shop as I understand that it can be tricky. Thats my personal opinion and not an expert one. I too had a similar ride in my coach and wound up putting in a Hellwig rear stabilizer bar and bilstein shocks all around. There was an immediate improvement in the ride and handling. It didn't completely remove the occasional hard bang. There are several posts on the subject of the suspension and handling on the site and it would be a good idea to sheck them out. Other suspension improvements that have been done to some coaches are the use of super springs, a Mor-Ryde suspension and steering stabilizers. These are also discussed on some past postings. 30# pressure in the air bags sounds a bit light but if it works for you than fine. I used to put 55# in my 26' coach.
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

Have the antifreeze tested if it is weak in additives replace it . The transmission should have fluid change at 36000 . The air bag minimum was 50lbs . Some 1998's were built on 1997 chassis , the 1997 did not have spark plug issues 1998 did . If it is a 1998 I would have a Ford dealer replace the spark plugs $400 to$600 , get an estimate before having any work done , note: any unit more than 10 years old should have a spark replacement just due to potential seizure from age .
2012 25' rb
Mike Astley

Post by Mike Astley »

I waited until a little past 100K to change the plugs on my '99 ('98 ford). I had the concern of "if it's not broken don't mess with it". Took it to the local Ford dealer and reminded the service person of the spark plug issue to take care in replacing them. I have put on over 10K since and all has been well so guess they did a good job.

I had never heard of the "10 year rule" for plugs. Mine were 15 years old at the time and no problems.
1999 26RSB
Fort Collins, CO
Ray

Post by Ray »

I have read a ford developed procedure for removing those plugs - not sure where I read it but its out there on the net somewhere. I believe it was pretty much letting them soak for a while with some kind of penetrating fluid - cant remember if you were suppose to do it warm or cold. But a ford truck service center should know that. I think I would ask them what their plan of attack is and see what they said if I was having the plugs replaced.
whemme

Post by whemme »

Read the following topic posted in the Technical Library section V10 Engine Spark Plug Hole Thread Repair concerning the care required to change the spark plugs in a Ford V10 to hopefully not strip out any spark plug hole threads in the engine's head.

As long as the engine is running OK, I would recommend waiting to at least 100,000 miles before replacing the plugs.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Ray

Post by Ray »

Hey Bill

Link wont work - I am sure its my darn computer again :)

Sure is nice to have you around - Thanks for everything you do.
whemme

Post by whemme »

Ray,

I just went to the Technical Library section and opened up the topic V10 Engine Spark Plug Hole Thread Repair and then clicked on the Attachment file at the bottom titled Ford V10 Spark Plug Hole Repair.pdf and it opened up OK for me. It is a 16 page pdf file.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”