No Pets

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dallas Baillio

No Pets

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I notice that I often see motorhomes advertised for sale, or individuals looking to purchase a motorhome, with the notation "No Pets." The only reason I can think of that justifies this is if a purchaser is allergic to dogs or cats. Otherwise it appears to me to be an unnecessary qualification. I have traveled with dogs for the entire time I have owned my BF. I challenge anyone to inspect it and find any problem caused by my dogs other than a few stray hairs. I thoroughly clean my BF after every trip. Sure pets can damage furniture and carpet but so can humans. You are missing out on a potential good purchase if you believe pets are a deal breaker.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
ewagman

Re: No Pets

Post by ewagman »

You will often see mention of "No Smokers" also. Not only for RV's, but houses, and all sorts of used items. Because there is a significant number of buyers who prefer something that has not been exposed to things some find offensive, you can increase the market appeal and possibly value of items that can truly make the statements of non exposure to pets. smokers, etc. Not all pets adhere to the "leave no trace" example that your pet does. The term "wet dog smell" has unmistakable origins.
And when you sell your BF, simply state "no significant traces of dog".
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I fully agree regarding smoking. Chemicals and smells permeate upholstery, curtains, carpet, etc. The point I tried to make is that a motorhome that has had a dog or cat aboard is no more likely to smell or be unclean than one without a traveling pet. The determining factor is the human owner. It isn't a pet that is the problem, it is the owner. A potential motorhome buyer should keep an open mind regarding pets. All I am trying to achieve with these posts is to counteract the common assumption that motorhomes that have been occupied by pets have some inherent problem. They may, but it is far from certain that they do.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

I'm sorry but I was brought up that all animals are dirty and should be kept outdoors . Animals were for food ,work , pest control , and protection . When an animal could no longer preform their function they were replaced . I don't want dogs or cats in my home , coach , hardware , restaurant . dept store , lumber yard , grocery store , or car. You love your pet and that's ok . but some of us don't . Remember when he licks you it could be love , or maybe he is trying to get the taste of his butt off his tongue . That same butt on the carpet , couch , chairs , and your lap . Sorry no smoking and no pets for me .
2012 25' rb
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

randallrae wrote:I'm sorry but I was brought up that all animals are dirty and should be kept outdoors . Animals were for food ,work , pest control , and protection.
Wow, I think that's a pretty extreme view. I was raised around farming in the '50s and '60s and I understand it, but I don't think its a view that is too prevalent today. While I wouldn't welcome a domestic critter into my home (cow, horse, pig etc.) dogs and cats as pets are pretty well accepted in society as companions. I recognize that not everyone loves my dogs as I do, but I have two of the best dogs one could ask for. That doesn't mean that they can't occasionally cause inadvertent damage. And certainly the upkeep in my coach is more with their shedding... but I'm with Dallas in that (unless you have animal allergies) merely that someone had a pet in their coach doesn't necessarily make it more 'unclean' than one without. And Dallas is right; it's the owner that's the problem, not the pet.

And if you're buying used from a dealership, unless the coach has an "animal" smell (which is unlikely once it's been detailed,) there's no way to know whether the coach once harbored a pet or not. And if it's otherwise acceptable, it doesn't really matter.
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

He would probably spill red wine on the couch too!
Attachments
image.png
image.png (585.72 KiB) Viewed 7063 times
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
shezonit

Post by shezonit »

Hi Dallas
I always enjoy your posts. You have lot of full time experience in your RV and have shared both good info and many dramatic and humorous stories of your travels.
When I see ads for vehicles for sale stating "no smoking or pets" I've aways assumed it is because many people are physically allergic to dog or cat hair/dander. I feel that way about odors, especially tobacco smoke. Even residual cooking odors bother me. I couldn't be relaxed in a unit that smelled of cooking oils, onions, tobacco, cat or dog, no matter how well it had been detailed.
I have rental units and advertise them "no pets or smoking". Yet people lie on applications and show up smelling of tobacco, and with cat or dog hair on their clothing.... My nose tells me the truth. Sometimes they say "I don't smoke, but I live with my relative who does".
Having stated I refuse to rent to people who own pets, I feel a bit hypocritical since I own and live with 2 small long haired dogs. Frequent brushing, weekly bathing and daily vacuuming keep them and our habitations clean and free of odor. You are right, it is not the animal, it's the owner. Except in cases of actual allergy, where no amount of cleaning would help the allergic person?
As for those who believe all animals to be dirty (evidenced by observations of butt licking) well, it's true many animals do that. Oddly, I have never seen my dogs do it! I think they are too fat...) But I'd forgive them even that for the amount of joyful companionship they give me. I do have limits, even with my clean dogs-- I don't allow my dogs to lick my face, and I wash my hands after playing with their slobbery toys. And... I wash their toys about once a week. I hope that is not too obsessive?

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”