Any '89 Born Free President Owners here?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

truenorth

Any '89 Born Free President Owners here?

Post by truenorth »

Going to test drive a 1989 24ft BF President today and hope I'll be finally joining the ranks of RV ownership again. I love the older vintage rigs but I understand BF changed engines in 1990 and just wondering if anyone has experience (good or bad) with the '89 Ford E350 chassis model with 460 motor.

Many thanks!
whemme

Re: Any '89 Born Free President Owners here?

Post by whemme »

Born Free didn't change engines, Ford did. Ford changed the 460 cu in V-8 engine to the 6.8 L V-10 engine in both the E-350 and E-450 chassis I believe in 1997 or 1998.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
truenorth

Post by truenorth »

Good point. Thank you for the response! :mrgreen:
truenorth

Post by truenorth »

And realizing I know just enough to be dangerous when it comes to RVs, any advice on anything BF specific I should check on is appreciated. On way to check out this baby and see what real condition it is in. Here is a link to the ad: http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/rvs/5277084775.html

I don't mind the lack of power windows/seats or anything of that nature. Will be looking for signs of water damage or leaks, significant rust on the undercarriage, and any soft spots in the flooring or ceiling. Going to test all the systems and bring a flashlight to peak inside cabinets for any signs of mice, leaks or just anything funky in general.

I love the care put into the Born Free coaches. Hoping this 2 owner rig will be "the one".

Thanks again!

P.S. - It has 105K (so average of 4K a year)...seems okay if it's been maintained?
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

It sounds like you've got it covered on what to look for. The only other suggestion I'd have is to see if you can have it assessed by a competent mechanic who can actually tell you the state of the mechanicals. The cost is usually just an hour of shop time.

Good luck!
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
truenorth

Post by truenorth »

Well, being me, I bought it without waiting for my mechanic (Friday evening, 2 hrs from home, tired) but so far so good. All systems work - my electrician checked everything out and gave me tips on amperage and all that good stuff. It has original carpet and it is still white! The fridge was replaced with a Dometic Freedom and it's nice and cold. Discovered 2 small water leaks at front sky view window over the cab at the hardware connection. And once it rains again, and I don't leave the roof vent wide open by accident, I can tell if it's a leak around the vent or if it was just rain falling in. Doh!

And I owe my neighbor a new car door. But otherwise things are going great! haha.

Signed,
Happy Camper :roll:
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

Welcome to the world of Born Frees. They are the best RVs around. Please join the Leap n lions. A lot of great people belong.

Jo and Curt
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle
truenorth

Post by truenorth »

Thanks Jo & Curt. I am planning to just that in the very near future. I agree Born Free's are the best. I was a Lazy Daze leaning gal for a long while but, during my 7 yr planning and saving period, I just kept reading great things about BF also. And the stars aligned. Very excited to join the 'party'. ;)

Happy travels!
Gail
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

Congrats, Gail, and welcome to the ranks of Born Free owners! I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of your "new" coach.

Can't wait to hear the car door story tho... ;)

Roger
BigLew

Post by BigLew »

Roger H wrote:Congrats, Gail, and welcome to the ranks of Born Free owners! I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of your "new" coach.

Can't wait to hear the car door story tho... ;)

Roger
I'm hoping she just borrowed one and has to replace it. :D
truenorth

Post by truenorth »

It looks something like this. Two girls. 1 RV. Girl driver to Girl passenger "I really should have you hop out and spot me". Girl passenger says "Oh you're totally clear." Girl driver then trusts Girl passenger and just before she comes to her senses and thinks "what about the rear" I slam on brakes whilst my bumper sits nicely in my neighbor's door panel.

Moral of the story, never trust a spotter in a super girly dress with coke bottle glasses. She's a great cook though and my son says she's a keeper. Just not a spotter. LOL

Luckily, my neighbor is also a lady and laughed about it. Told her to send me the bill. Still waiting but I'm sure it's coming soon.

Disclaimer: not all women are bad RV drivers or spotters. I've actually handled a 38'r Class A alone with 2 dogs and not even a scratch (okay, unless you count the tree that caught my roof while lost in the Sierra Nevada - again, directions given by a local. Who was a...wait for it...girl. But THAT's a whole nuther story)! :roll:

hee hee hee
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

Great story, Gail! Thanks for sharing that. Hopefully that'll be the last story of its kind. ;)

Most of us don't have any stories just like that, too. :lol:

I know that I've never left the antenna up, or driven over chocks, or left the electrical attached... nope... not that I'll confess to, anyway... <grin>

Roger
truenorth

Post by truenorth »

Nope. Never heard of anyone doing stupid stuff in an RV before. Nope, not ever. :oops: :lol: 8)
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

Someone I know very well drove 13 miles dragging a bright yellow electical cord with people honking at him - he waved back!
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
truenorth

Post by truenorth »

:lol: :mrgreen: :wink:

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”