Disconnect reverse backup light circuit?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

bogrady

Disconnect reverse backup light circuit?

Post by bogrady »

On my 1995 President BF , the Overdrive switch and switch to put backup lights on in Reverse or on the same 15 A circuit. I need to disconnect the Reverse light circuit to keep the Overdrive switch working since the fuse blows in Reverse but not due to the Overdrive switch.

Having trouble tracing the backup short and would appreciate any advice

Thanks
oliverpsmile

Re: Disconnect reverse backup light circuit?

Post by oliverpsmile »

Time ago I found that the back-up lights (main still do not work) are controlled by the transmission, combined with the on board computer. My attempt to find "limit switch" or similar device around the transmission failed (crawling under the vehicle is not my forte :D ) . The schematic drawings were part of my couch package. Ford may have more detailed drawings.

Any clues You may find please post them here. It would benefit evreybody.
Oliver P Smile
2005 26ft RSB
bogrady

Post by bogrady »

I suspect the Overdrive switch/relay is buried somewhere around the Transmission. The switch contact for the backup lights may be near the steering column actuated by the Reverse gear position??
A circuit diagram would sure be useful.
Thanks for your input
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

It appears that the reverse switch is on the steering column with the neutral start switch . It feeds the backup lights ,and
the trailer plug , or the reverse relay which feeds the trailer plug (trailer tow package ) . Backup cameras are usually hooked to the backup lights . I would check my backup light housings , bulbs , and trailer plug for possible shorts or damage first .
2012 25' rb
bogrady

Post by bogrady »

Good reply. Have checked trailer plug, lights and bulbs. Suspect short is in intermediate cable.

How do I access steering column switch ? Easy or difficult ?

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”