Homecoming Rally

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

CuJo's Pride

Homecoming Rally

Post by CuJo's Pride »

I've see the homecoming rally in Humboldt has changed to August. In May it wasn't a problem because school was still in session. My concern is the camping situation since school will still be on summer break. Does anyone know if the campgrounds are going to reserve spots for the rally? They didn't take reservations last year and I'm afraid it will be tough to get a spot this year.

Thanks
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle
bushed52

Re: Homecoming Rally

Post by bushed52 »

Just seeing this post on camping at the BF homecoming rally. We are planning to attend and have never been before. Wondering what exactly we need to do to get out BF set down for the rally. Any tips?

'98 Santana Sovereign Tandem Bike
'01 Santana Y2K Triple
'04 Santana Beyond
'05 CoMotion Quad
whemme

Post by whemme »

Dennis,

There are 3 locations in Humboldt, IA that you can setup your Born Free coach when attending the Born Free factory homecoming rally.

A) The factory has some limited spaces located directly across the factory on the west side of the highway. Those space generally fill up fast and require that you get there several days early to grab a space.

B) There is the Joe Sheldon County Park located approximately 2 miles west of the factory on the south side of Highway 3. This RV park has the following Sites:

Spaces Available (55)      Width (30)                Max Length (60)
Grass Sites (55)              30 Amp                    50 Amp
Full Hookups (43)           Max Amps (50)         Pull-thrus (10)
Pull-thru Size (30 x 60   Back-ins (20 x 24)    Site Length (60)

C) The Humboldt County Fairgrounds has at least 25 grass RV sites with only electrical hookups. Sewer and water are available at the fairgrounds but not at the sites. The fairgrounds are located south of Highway 3 approximately 1 mile SE of the Born Free factory.

Humboldt County Fairgrounds
311 6th Avenue North
Humboldt, IA 50548
Phone: 515-332-5154
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
iowaride

Post by iowaride »

There is also Dakota City Memorial Park, located in Dakota City, along the river. There are electric hookups. Dakota City is directly adjacent to Humboldt. http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/iowa/dakota-city

Additionally, Frank Gotch State Park has camping and is located south of Humboldt. There are electric hookups. http://www.mycountyparks.com/County/Hum ... -Park.aspx

Harrington
east coast of Iowa
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

I called Born Free and asked if they were going to reserve some spots for camping at all the camp grounds.My concern is it's during summer break for kids and I'm concerned that we would not be able to get camping spots. No one takes reservations. They said they would talk about it at the next meeting.
Curt and Jo
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

Being from Iowa , I can tell you the campgrounds generally have room thru the summer Monday thru Thursday . Born Free has more than enough room for dry camping with water and dump available .
2012 25' rb
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

We're from Iowa as well and I was just putting it out there. Electric is going to be important that time of year so the air can be used. How many outlets are at the BF factory?
Curt and Jo
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
bushed52

Post by bushed52 »

Any camping near a swimming pool or other place great for kids?
Dennis and Deb Bush
Had 2006 32' RT Casual Elegance
Had 2002 Bed & Breakfast
Current 2004 26' Rear Bath
10 Grandkids inside 4 country miles
dinycat

Post by dinycat »

We are newbies, hoping to attend the rally, but if there's no guarantee of finding a site. . .
bushed52

Post by bushed52 »

What is the downside to using the generator for 3 days at these events? Kinda dumb question but I notice most campers want electric hook-ups. We have the big generator & gas tank on our unit so I never worry about running out of power. On Ragbrai we have to shut generators off at 10 pm so the bikers can sleep. And on a 100 degree day it can still be warm at 10 pm but we survive. Don't think that is a problem at this rally, so besides the lower/quieter cost of electric; why do folks like the hook-ups, etc. ? P.S.- hello iowaride
Dennis and Deb Bush
Had 2002 Bed & Breakfast
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

The average High in Humbolt in June 81 in august 82 , the average low in June 58 in August 60 . Most dry campers ran there generators during the day .
2012 25' rb
bushed52

Post by bushed52 »

Has the $89 fee made a difference in members planning on attending the rally this year?
Dennis and Deb Bush
Had 2002 Bed & Breakfast
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

To me the $89 pp isn't that big of a deal considering how much it's costing the company to have the rally. I really appreciate all the time and effort that goes into having such a large event. It's an event we look forward to every year and I'd hate to think that they would cancel it because it costs to much to put on. If our $178 keeps the rally going, I'll keep paying a portion.

Jo
Curt and Jo
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

Jo, we totally agree. We most likely cannot come because of family obligations - late August is a bad time for us, but know you will all have a wonderful time!
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
jlef123

Post by jlef123 »

I was recently at the factory for a service appointment and was told that one of the reasons for the change in date was so that attendees could combine the trip to Humboldt with a visit to the Iowa State Fair. The fair is from 8/11 to 8/21. Evidently there had been some requests from potential attendees to coordinate the date with the fair. I have never been to the fair but from what I was told it is one of the biggest and best in the country and well worth seeing. Of course, there are some folks in Texas who I am sure will disagree with the biggest and best part.
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”