gps

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

bill crommett

gps

Post by bill crommett »

To those of you who use a GPS unit while traveling, what do you do for antenna placement ? I can read maps quitw well so I have never had the urge to install a tracking system, but occasioally I would like to access my altitude and precise coordinates. But I find that the steel cab roof blocks most of the signals from the birds, so I have to stop and get out to read the numbers. Is there an accessory antenna for the hand held instruments ?
whemme

GPS Antenna Location

Post by whemme »

Bill,

You don't say which brand and model handheld GPS unit you have. I use a Garmin Model 2610 that is mounted on the dash directly above the speedometer instrument cluster. The 2610 has a built-in antenna and GPS satellite reception has never been a problem with our unit in that location.

If you have a Garmin handheld unit with a small vertical antenna that swivels, that antenna can be removed and a remote antenna with a 6' cable could be purchased as an accessory and placed out near the base of the windshield for better satellite reception while keeping your handheld GPS close to your chest.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Bill...I have the Garmin 2620 which I place on my dashboard to the right of me so I can see it easily while I drive....Like Bill Hemme, I have no problems as the antenna is built in. Have to say...without that GPS I'd probably still be wandering around Iowa...it got me to Humboldt easily and it got me home....best thing that ever happened to someone like me (who gets lost going around the corner)....Can't help you on the hand held ones though...sorry...
norijake

Post by norijake »

For Garmin products go to www.garmin.com and Search: antenna. That will lead you to all Garmin products that will accept a remote antenna.

Charlotte, I also use the Garmin 2620. I imagine that you keep your 2620 up-to-date but, FWIW, the Garmin WebUpdater software version, as of 10 Aug 2006, is v. 2.3.3; 2620 unit software is v. 4.7 and City Navigator North America is v. 8. Great unit and outstanding support from Garmin.
2004 26' RB
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

I use the iWAY 500C mounted on my console. For pics of my GPS installation, see:
http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... .php?t=161

It has an internal antenna that works fine when the unit is placed on the dash. However, since mine is mounted on the engine console so that it doesn't obstruct my vision through the windshield (my personal preference), I use an external gilsson antenna that I run from the engine console up under the dash to up under the plastic access panel (easily pops out) in the center near the front of the dash. The magnetic external antenna is placed on top of one of the metal vent actuators under that access panel. With this placement I get excellent satellite lock and it is out of sight.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
whemme

REMOTE ANTENNA FOR GARMIN GPS-48 HANDHELD

Post by whemme »

Bill Crommett,

I received your E-mail message stating that you had a Garmin GPS-48 hand-held GPS. If you want to consider a remote mounted antenna for that unit, Garmin still makes the GA-25 BNC Remote Antenna (Garmin P/N 010-10701-00) for $31.49 and it is designed to work with the GPS-48. You can get further information and see this antenna (along with many other accessories) at the following Garmin website address:

http://shop.garmin.com/accessories_for_ ... 0-00144-00

If you are having GPS satellite reception problems, placing this remote antenna on the dash at the base of the windshield should help.

A picture of that antenna follows below:
Attachments
010-10701-00.jpg
010-10701-00.jpg (5.65 KiB) Viewed 6690 times
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
bcope01

Re: REMOTE ANTENNA FOR GARMIN GPS-48 HANDHELD

Post by bcope01 »

whemme wrote:Bill Crommett,

I received your E-mail message stating that you had a Garmin GPS-48 hand-held GPS. If you want to consider a remote mounted antenna for that unit, Garmin still makes the GA-25 BNC Remote Antenna (Garmin P/N 010-10701-00) for $31.49 and it is designed to work with the GPS-48. You can get further information and see this antenna (along with many other accessories) at the following Garmin website address:

http://shop.garmin.com/accessories_for_ ... 0-00144-00

If you are having GPS satellite reception problems, placing this remote antenna on the dash at the base of the windshield should help.

A picture of that antenna follows below:
Why not get a Gilsson Ultra High Gain Antenna for that unit for less money:

http://tinyurl.com/o8r4k

Bill
Attachments
52_2.JPG
52_2.JPG (8.02 KiB) Viewed 6680 times
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
whemme

Gilsson Ultra High Gain Antenna

Post by whemme »

bcope01,

That antenna should work also at a lower cost.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
bill crommett

gps

Post by bill crommett »

Thanks to all .

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”