metal insert from inside RV exhaust pipe

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

jeffcarp

metal insert from inside RV exhaust pipe

Post by jeffcarp »

While tailgating today I noticed a piece of metal sitting next to my RV. It is a metal insert that used to be in the exhaust pipe of the generator that has a cone shaped metal screen on it. Somehow the screw through the exhaust pipe that held this insert in place has actually ripped through the insert itself. I'm running my generator today and the exhaust literally blew the insert onto the ground.

What purpose does this serve and is it critical that I replace it? The constant metal clanging of that insert was something that I hated to listen to and the generator is actually much more pleasant to run without that insert in place. Can I just leave it out?
2011 Born Free 22' Rear Side Kitchen
shilohdad

Re: metal insert from inside RV exhaust pipe

Post by shilohdad »

That is the spark arrestor. It prevents any sparks from coming out the exhaust pipe and potentially starting a fire. Many state and national forest campgrounds require these spark arrestors. If you are not set up near any combustible material you should be OK. Seeing as you may very well camp in areas with dry leaves, grass, etc. you should probably get it replaced.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”