Recommendations for Replacement Toilet

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Brent

Recommendations for Replacement Toilet

Post by Brent »

I've got the 23' RK and would like to replace the OEM toilet (Thetford) with a ceramic one, with the least disruption to install.

Any recommendations?
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
whemme

Re: Recommendations for Replacement Toilet

Post by whemme »

Brent,

Camping World near Tampa or any other RV shop should be able to replace your existing toilet with a new model of your choice.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Brent

Post by Brent »

Sorry but the "take it to Camping World" approach did not work.

They were full of recommendations but we're not aware that there is a 1-2 inch rise in the 23RK wet bath which now makes for a toilet seat almost 22" high as installed. In addition the additional height required additional plumbing that was not done and I ended up with a flooded unit.

There is a reason to ask "does anyone with this unit have experience".

My recommendation is to ask someone in a similar situation for their experience - not take a salesmans recommendation.

Just to save others ask for help maybe someone knowledgeable will advise you.
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

Brent, I replied on your fb request... and just found this. I had a 23RK, but didn't have to replace the toilet; that said I've replaced a half-dozen RV toilets over the years in various units so I'm familiar with most of the issues you'll run into.

I'm not sure though what, exactly, you're saying. Did you have the toilet replaced once already and they did a poor job? I don't understand what happened from your post. Perhaps you can elaborate on it so I have a better idea what you're after.

Thetford makes toilets in varying heights, so you should be able to find one that suits your particular situation. Any RV dealer can order and should be able to install them if you're not comfortable doing it yourself. That said, a toilet replacement should only take a couple of hours unless the floor flange has to be changed and the screws are rusted into the floor. That takes a little longer to do. I had an '85 Airstream 325 motorhome that I had to replace the toilet in that was on a ledge, and not only had they changed the floor flange bolt spacing, but the platform on which the toilet sat wasn't deep enough to accommodate the new toilet, so I ended up having to fabricate that as well as change out the floor flange and do some plumbing on that one. It's not too difficult to do though. The most difficult part of that job was getting the pedestal re-carpeted after everything was installed.
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

I installed a Dometic 310 in our 1998 BFT wet bath . While it was higher than OEM it wasn't that bad and I think there might be a lower profile available . The best reason I chose this toilet was a 2011 BFT at the factory which came with this toilet . We noticed it gave a full 2 inches leg room when showering .
2012 25' rb
Brent

Post by Brent »

Thanks to responders - it is very helpful to talk with those that "have been there - done that".

Unfortunately was at CW and they said they did not have the low profile as no one installed it any more. So I went with the taller one. Not till after the installation did we realize it would be almost two inches higher than planned due to the raised portion of the wet bath. To frustrate the situation I found while checking out that the lower profile was in stock but the advisor didn't check for it. In addition after getting it back and turning on the water it flooded the bathroom due to improper installation (at least is a wet bath).

All in all not the best day.
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

Thanks, Brent... that's a little more clear.

Have you returned to CW to have them return and replace the one they installed with the low-profile version since they have it in stock? Since the plumbing wasn't reinstalled correctly, I'd think they'd do it at no charge since they screwed up the initial installation anyway, and then told you they didn't stock the correct replacement. If it's recently been replaced, then you're truly looking at loosening two bolts and the waterline, pulling the toilet, and reinstalling a new one the same way. Twenty minute job, tops.

Truth to tell, I'd probably be such a PITA at the customer service counter that by the time the general manager arrived, they'd be happy to reinstall a new one just to get rid of me.
Brent

Post by Brent »

CW stepped up and took care of the issues. I ended up with a Thetford Aqua II in the ceramic - all in all it seems like a nice upgrade. Now maybe to put in a sink upgrade?
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

Brent wrote:CW stepped up and took care of the issues. I ended up with a Thetford Aqua II in the ceramic - all in all it seems like a nice upgrade. Now maybe to put in a sink upgrade?
Glad to hear they took care of it. They're generally pretty good customer service.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”