Storage compartment warning stickers.

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

mi99amigo

Storage compartment warning stickers.

Post by mi99amigo »

In reading Bill Hemme's reply about storage, I got thinking about my own use of the storage compartments. I have taken Bill's advice about getting a spare tire and storing it in the under couch compartment in my 26RSB. However, the one under the bed has these warning stickers about not storing anything flammable in it. I know other compartments also have the same warnings. Kinda silly I think. At the right temperature, just about anything is flammable.

However, the furnace and hot water heater are located in this under bed compartment, so I have have been trying to be very careful about anything directly touching these appliances. But I DO store flammable items there.

What do you all do?
Dallas Baillio

Storage Compartment Warning Stickers

Post by Dallas Baillio »

All the items I store in the compartment that contains the furnace and water heater (under the rear side bed) I store in plastic bins, some with tops, some without. I attached a wood strip to the floor that keeps the bins from shifting and touching the furnace. I do have some auto "liquids" (oil, AFT, PS, etc) stored next to the hot water heater in a bin, but it is lodged in such a way that it cannot move around. I carry a couple of lawn chairs under the couch, but I have a hitch mounted spare tire carrier so I don't need an inside place for a spare. Tow a car rarely, but when I do I move the BF spare to the towed vehicle. I do like the idea of attaching a piece of carpet to the compartment floor. That would help keep movement to a minimum. I bought my BF used and did not have a warning sticker. I don't think the previous owner removed it as all the other stickers were in place. Probaby a liability issue that BF lawyers instigated!
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Dallas Baillio

Storage Compartment Warning Stickers

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Just thought about this. Why should we worry about sleeping above the furnace and how water heater, when directly below is a very large, highly explosive tank of propane?
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
BornFree_n_Now

Cat Below ~ Storage Compartment Warning Stickers

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

We recently modified our under bed storage area to house a cat litter tent, accessible by our furry friends through the slatted door (removed three of the slates), and a sub woofer for the speaker system for our rear flat screen. We had previously covered the entire floor with thin roll out exercise mats which hold everything which sits on them very tight. While coming up with the place for the litter tent placement, we noticed how hot the back of the furnace gets when on, and felt a modification was necessary. Our approach was to use stainless steel tape to affix Plumbers Solder Guard panels (good to 3000 degrees), to the back portion of the furnace (side facing the inside door). We also made sure that all of the cracks (around the gas feed line and back access door), were taped shut. The result was amazing ~~ you can touch the furnace on the back now while it is on, and we have peace of mind with regard to a matter which has bothered us for some time even before we put the litter tent in. Due to the furnace lighting process (a spark), not to mention the main burners open flame, we would not store anything that could release an ignitable / combustible vapor in this area ~~ sort of like making your own combustion engine :shock: We do, however, store what can be construed as flammable items, but make sure that same are securely retrained away from the major heat source (furnace).
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
BornFree_n_Now

Re: Cat Below ~ Storage Compartment Warning Stickers

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

Sam Ryan wrote:
BornFree_n_Now wrote: So, my question: Is this tape something I should wrap the propane gas pipelines and joints that I can actually reach (get to) everywhere in my coach?
Sam: I would not put the tape on the actual gas pipe joints ~~ always good to be able to see and test them (soapy water in a spray bottle), if you suspect they are leaking. Where we used the stainless steel tape was on the furnace housing to cause more of the forced air to go where it is supposed to go (out of the vents), rather than escaping randomly out of the furnace box under the bed.
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
mi99amigo

Post by mi99amigo »

Sam, I seem to recall the LP gas is heavier than the ambient air and therefore, sinks. I have only seen LP detectors located at the floor level, never on the roof. On the roof you should see smoke detectors and CO detectors.

As for LP detectos working or not, I can share my expereinces with you. My BF is just a year old and we have always had the LP detectors going off. However, we have never smell LP and out handheld detector has never gone off. Kim Olsen has graciously send me two replacements on separate occasions. I even had a very competent local RV shop check for leaks, at my own expense. Still, the LP detectos keep going off.

Finally, I ordered a differnt brand detector from CW, and now, all's quiet.

On a previous travel trailer, we accidentally turned the stove on (without lighting it) and left for a day trip. Upon returning, I can hear the LP detector screeming and a strong LP smell. After quickly shutting off the outside tanks and airing the unit out, all's well. Funny thing was, our neighbouring camper came over afterward, commented that he had been hearing the alarm all day long, but didn't think he shold shut of the outside tanks. Go figure.
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

Storage under any compartment; warning. Someone on our caravan have one of the light fixtures inside his under-sofa storage compartment nearly start a fire in his coach.

One of those little lights that are just inside the compartment doors.

One item inside their compartment had slid and turned the light on without their knowledge. It heated up, melted through the plastic shade, melted something adjascent to it and nearly melted something next to that...and it smoldered for a few hours before they figured out what it was.

Good thing they did. By morning we'd have had a tragedy. When you load those compartments, make sure nothing can slide into the switches on those lights.

PatTrish
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

Trisha wrote:Storage under any compartment; warning. Someone on our caravan have one of the light fixtures inside his under-sofa storage compartment nearly start a fire in his coach.

One of those little lights that are just inside the compartment doors.

One item inside their compartment had slid and turned the light on without their knowledge. It heated up, melted through the plastic shade, melted something adjascent to it and nearly melted something next to that...and it smoldered for a few hours before they figured out what it was.

Good thing they did. By morning we'd have had a tragedy. When you load those compartments, make sure nothing can slide into the switches on those lights.

PatTrish
This was also brought up in the maintenance session at the recent Leavenworth rally. Maybe it was by the same person as some folks therehad been on the Alaska caravan. At any rate, tonight I installed some LED lights in place of the incandescent ones that come in the factory installed fixtures on my 2005 22BFT. They run much cooler and won't cause this problem. After some research, I found LED bulbs that are a direct replacement for the number 1141 bayonet type bulbs that fit in the factory installed fixtures. They provide less light but it is difused enough by the lense so that it is more than adequate for this purpose. The bulbs I bought were 1156-W12 White LED bulb - Wide from Super Bright LEDs Inc., 100 Washington St, Florissant, MO 63031. They can be ordered online at the website below. If you don't have the 1141 type of bulb, the website also has info to help you identify which type you have and which type of LED will replace it. The price was $26 for 3 bulbs including shipping. A bit pricey, but at 10,000 hours rated lifecycle they will outlast my use of the rig, although perhaps not the rig itself the way Dodgen builds them, and in the long run they are cheap insurance.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/
Mike Jean Bandfield

Re: Cat Below ~ Storage Compartment Warning Stickers

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Sam Ryan wrote: I am always skeptical whether the gas sensor actually works, beyond just checking the battery power? I believe every (IFR) Instrument Flight Rated pilot, has it drilled into him, to always, always, always, trust your instruments when flying IFR........I have no choice but to trust the gas sensor, for gas in the coach. I always vent the bathroom roof vent open a little, before I retire at night during the Winter, when operating the furnace.
Sam, you can use a butane lighter to test your propane detector ...when you find it - as Chris noted: look down not up. While holding the lighter's valve open, without actually lighting it, place it in close proxity to the grill on the face plate of the propane detector. It should alarm within a few seconds.

(This is another very important use for the butane match stick we've been discussing for lighting the stove.)
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”