Installing Winegard antenna

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

whemme

Winegard Batwing Antenna Conversion

Post by whemme »

John,

Before my conversion to the Delta antenna, the TV wallplate had a slide switch with a red indicator light that both turned the antenna pre-amp on and off and at the same time switched between the Delta antenna and the cable TV input jack on the left side of the coach.

After I had the factory install the Winegard Batwing antenna, the TV wallplate was also changed to a different Winegard plate that had a pushbutton switch with a green indicator instead of the slideswitch with the red indicator. The reason that the TV wallplate had to be changed is because for the previous Delta, the pre-amp for it was physically inside that wallplate whereas for the new Batwing, the pre-amp for it is actually located in the Batwing itself.

Since having the Batwing installed, I have not actually had an opportunity yet to use my cable TV hookup. I believe that same pushbotton switch also switches between the Batwing and the cable TV input jack. When the green indicator is on, you are connected to the Batwing and when it is off you should be connected to the cable TV input jack.

Also, Kim Olson is correct, you also need to change the setup menu in the TV itself when changing from antenna received signals to cable TV received signals - at least when receiving any TV channels above channel 13. All TV channels above 13 are on a different frequency depending on whether they being received on an antenna or via cable TV. This same setup change also applied to your VCR. The frequencies are the same for channels 2 thru 13 however.

Also, bcope01 is correct, there are several versions of the Winegard Batwing antenna. The factory installed the RV-7095 version which basically is the version with the built-in pre-amp and less the unnecessary RF cables since this is a conversion of an existing system and not starting from scratch.

For those reading this who might want to consider this conversion, below are additional details:

Here is the list of Winegard parts and costs listed on my Born Free factory invoice:

1) P/N 205-02082 - RV-7185 Amplified Sensar TV Antenna $92.75
2) P/N 205-02082-01 - CP-3634 RV Interior Control - White $4.10
3) P/N 205-02081 - RV-7042 Wall Plate Power Supply - White $25.78

Those 205 series P/Ns above probably are Born Free P/Ns - not Winegard P/Ns. The total cost to me including parts, labor and tax for the conversion was $206.11.

A direct link to the Winegard factory website for the RV-3095, RV-5095, and RV-7095 is: http://www.winegard.com/mobile/sensar.htm
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Bill Hemme & Others:

Does it make sense that since I already have the Wingard Model RA-7296 wall plate/amplifier installed in my BFT driving the factory installed Delta antenna, all I would need to do is to replace that Delta antenna with the Winegard Model RV-5095 non-amplified Sensar III antenna?

Thanks, Bill[/b]
Last edited by bcope01 on Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
whemme

Winegard Model RV-5085 non-amplified Sensar III antenna?

Post by whemme »

Barb & Bill,

That would seem to make sense to me but you might want to check with Kim Olson at the Born Free factory to make sure that would work. One thing though, did you mean RV-5095 rather than RV-5085 non-amplified antenna? I also noted that Winegard recommends in the link I mentioned above the RA-7596 wallplate for their non-amplified RV-5095 Batwing, not the RA-7296 you listed.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Bill Hemme:

You're right. I did mean to type RV-5095 (vice RV-5085). WRT the amplified wallplate, I think Winegard also made a typo in that link you mentioned above. I know it says "the RA-7596 wallplate amplifier strengthens signal for non-amplified antennas," but if you look at the "Quick Links to Mobile Manuals" box on the top right of the webpage, under "Power Supply" you'll find the link to the RA-7296 amplified wallplate. A click on that link confirms that it is RA-7296 (vice RA-7596).

Before I attempt the conversion, I'll take your advice and give Kim a call.

Thanks, Bill
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

FYI, I asked the folks at Winegard if there was any reception difference between the amplified wallplate/non-amplified Senser III antenna and the non-amplified wallplate/amplified Senser III antenna setup. This was their response:

[quote]Thank you for your email. The gain between the two setups is almost the same. However, the amplified antenna will give you a much better picture.

The cable that the antenna sends the signal thru adds “Junkâ€
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”