Happy Thanksgiving! Need help with water tank issue!

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

BlakeLinda

Happy Thanksgiving! Need help with water tank issue!

Post by BlakeLinda »

We hooked up last night in an RV resort. The city water connection bled into my fresh water tank and overfilled it overnight. We woke to find water running out of the fresh water tank filler cap on the outside. The fresh water tank was overfilled to bulging. We had no idea city water line could bled into and overfill the fresh water tank. Anybody had this happen or have a logical reason why this could happen?
Thank you!!
Blake and Linda
2010 RSK
Blake & Linda
2010 RSK
Steve W

Re: Happy Thanksgiving! Need help with water tank issue!

Post by Steve W »

Blake & Linda

Camped last month on the northern coast of California and while walking to the office the following am, walked past a late model Class C which was awash in water. An older man was standing outside and I inquired as to all the water. What happened to you, happened to him only he didn't catch it and overnight his freshwater tank filled, overfilled and ran out into the interior of the coach. He had called the manufacturer and was told that there is a valve in the coach's water pump that must have malfunctioned. Supposedly when hooked to outside water this valve will close to keep the outside water from filling the interior fresh water tank and flooding the vehicle. I told him that I had never heard of that, thinking that the outside water completely bypassed the interior water tank. Before we hit the road again, I will check with our RV maintenance people to clarify the situation. You might want to call Kim at BF. He will definitely have the answer.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Steve & Sue Wolfe / Born Free 24RB / toad
BlakeLinda

Post by BlakeLinda »

Thank you so much for the reply. That is only thing that makes sense. At least we caught it in time. One more thing to be grateful for this day. We will try calling Kim after we get back. Hopefully, someone else will read this and be able avoid similar.
Happy Thanksgiving.
Blake & Linda
2010 RSK
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

Sometimes the pump check valve will leak back into the fresh water tank .(possibly caused by running pump while on city water?) You can always leave tank drain valve open when on city water , or get into the habit of checking tank levels frequently .
2012 25' rb
stevek

Post by stevek »

So the check valve is built into the pump? Or separate?
Does this generic schematic look accurate?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-11-24 at 10.41.23 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-11-24 at 10.41.23 AM.png (58.58 KiB) Viewed 12128 times
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

Yes it appears accurate . Pump has valve in it .
2012 25' rb
BlakeLinda

Post by BlakeLinda »

Do I understand that the valve is inside the pump housing? We just replaced the water pump (Surflo)this past spring. Sounds like we may have a defective valve.
Blake
Blake & Linda
2010 RSK
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

BlakeLinda wrote:Do I understand that the valve is inside the pump housing? We just replaced the water pump (Surflo)this past spring. Sounds like we may have a defective valve.
Blake
Yes, the check valve is inside the pump body. You may have a defective valve, but more likely you have a piece of lime, plastic, or a small stone. or some other 'something' stuck and blocking it open. Run the pump and see if it'll blow it through. If that doesn't fix it, since you'll have to pull the pump anyway, just tap it on the outlet side a couple of times and see if that dislodges whatever is in it. Put it back in-line and see if the problem persists. If it still has a leaky valve, then you're probably stuck with replacing it... fortunately, it's not an emergency as you can just run on your tank until you get around to it.
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
whemme

Post by whemme »

Blake & Linda,

I agree that you probably have a leaking back flow valve in your water pump. Because of this possibility and potential other leaks that could occur using the constantly pressurized city water connection, I have stopped using that method obtaining water in my Born Free. I always just fill my fresh water tank and then shut the water off at the pedestal. Then also whenever I leave the coach or while sleeping, I also turn off the water pump. This prevents flooding the coach with water due to any possible water leaks in the system.

There is always the potential for a water leak to the inside of the coach when using the constantly pressurized city water connection.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
BlakeLinda

Post by BlakeLinda »

I tried running the pump to empty the tank. We drained it twice and it appears to not be filling the tank now. But how can I trust that?
Good advice! I don't want to have to turn off water each time but my paranoida level may dictate that method.
Thanks all!
Blake & Linda
2010 RSK
whemme

Post by whemme »

Blake & Linda,

As I said, I would recommend not using the city water connection as you source of water in your coach. Instead use your filled fresh water tank and your water pump.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
BlakeLinda

Post by BlakeLinda »

Thanks Bill, that is exactly what we're doing!
Blake & Linda
2010 RSK
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Bill's suggestion is the safest.
We've also always made it a habit to only turn on the pump when needing to use water and insure it is off when driving or sleeping.
If you really like the pressure and convenience of city water, you can minimize the risk by shutting the valve between the tank and the pump. - Mike

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”