RV Rental?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

TomP

RV Rental?

Post by TomP »

Has anyone had any experience in renting their motorhome? It could be a BF or other. Via an agency or self-rented.

I'm considering purchasing a new model and renting it out. Much more research to do of course but I thought I'd solicit opinions from my fellow BFers. :)

Thanks!
1995 Born Free 24' Rear Side Bed
jlef123

Re: RV Rental?

Post by jlef123 »

Many years ago I came up with the idea to buy a Class C Motorhome and rent it out to pay for it. This was before Cruise America existed. My problems were that every time it came back from a rental I had to spend time and money cleaning and repairing all the damage done by the customer. In addition when I wanted to use it myself I had a customer who wanted to rent it and you can guess who took precedence. At the end of a year I sold it and the end result was I broke even. Perhaps if I had pursued it longer I might have been able to make a profit. However it bothered me that folks did not appreciate my coach and did not take care of it like I did. If you want to try it you might take a lesson from Cruise America. They don't use high end luxury coaches, Their rentals are all basic coaches that sleep a lot of people, mostly built by Four Winds. Not sure what the rental market would be for an expensive Born Free.
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond
TomP

Post by TomP »

Ok. good info. Yeah, i was looking at a 4 winds or a winnebago to rent

Thanks
1995 Born Free 24' Rear Side Bed
whemme

Post by whemme »

Unless you can live with your RV being beat up by a rental customer, I think I would consider that before doing it. I know I would never consider renting out my Born Free coach.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

We've had people ask us if they could "barrow" our BF. My husband always kind of thought about it but when I pointed out that it was our home away from home and that it has our stuff in it he saw my side. The weird thing was it was people who he worked with that he barely knew. One guys asked because he was thinking of "buying" one. I suggested he rent one from a business or just jump in and buy one. He never did. I think he just wanted to party for a weekend. One guy asked numerous times, like we were going to change our minds.

We take great pride in our BF and I know a renter wouldn't....
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”