Another question,.....and it won't be my last

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

jobrien

Another question,.....and it won't be my last

Post by jobrien »

I was at Camping World the other day, and picked up a MaxxAir vent cover for the BF.

Has any one installed a cover over the Fantastic fan on a BF? I always cover mine so we can leave the vent open when it rains, and I also leave the vent open a crack when we are not using it.

I'm just wondering if the cover will fit and not interfere with anything, like the Winegard antenna. I haven't looked at the roof of a BF, so I'm not sure.

Thanks

John
whemme

Vent Cover Interference with Winegard Batwing TV Antenna?

Post by whemme »

John,

I have the Winegard Batwing antenna on my 2002 BF 26' RSB and I know of a local 1999 BF 24' RB owner that has a vent cover on his BF and has the Delta antenna. I don't know if his vent cover is a MaxxAir unit or not but it looks rather large to me. The Winegard Batwing installs in the same location as the Delta using the same hole in the roof. When the Batwing is in the stowed position, it folds down rearward into a position that is almost flat against the roof. Whether either the erect or stowed positions would mechanically interfer with the MaxxAir vent cover is something you should probably check into before attempting the installation. Sorry I can't be of further help - maybe if you were to call Kim Olson at the BF factory, he might have advice on this issue.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Steve

Post by Steve »

John,
I believe I read in the Fantastic fan manual NOT to install any aux covers over the vent. My Fantastic fan lowers automatically when it rains and then opens again when the moisture has evaporated from the contacts. I have a 2005 24RB. If you think about it, the vent will severely limit the flow of air in and out of the coach with the MaxxAir vent installed.
Steve
jhillis625

Post by jhillis625 »

I have the Max air vent installed on our 98 Bornfree since 2000. It works great for us, Its open any time we leave the coach. It can be left running since we have maxair side vents also. It vents the coach and the cat likes it to.
Since we live here in Florida we leave it open while it is parked here at the house. I remove the screen and clean it from time to time.
Jim
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Steve;

I replied about a half hour ago, but my post went into cyberspace or I did something wrong :cry:

I bought the model 800 which is meant for use with a powered vent. It's much larger than the standard and probably has more vents. We cover the vents so we can leave them open even when it rains. Over the winter I leave the vent cracked a bit to allow air circulation.

I have 3 fans in my Allegro and they all have covers. Some nights we leave the entry door open and have the fan on in the bedroom. Nice breeze is created.

Will also look into the MAxxAir window vents.

John
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

We have the 22'BFT with the Fantastic fan and the rain sensor. I was not happy with the fact that when it rained, we could not open the vent to keep condensation from building up inside the coach, even with the side windows open/covered. I installed the high capacity Max air vent over it and have been very satisfied. It is made for going over the high capacity fans and works well. I have heard of some folks who did this and had to tape over the rain sensor to keep condensation from setting it into action but have not found that to be a problem in our area. It does interfere with the rotation of the Delta antenna however we have not found that a problem as we rarely use it. The Wineguard batwing would avoid the interference but I am not sure if there is enough room for it to lie down flat on the roof. I am also not sure that every 22BFT has the antenna in the exact same position so it might fit on some and not others. I would measure it carefully before I bought a replacement batwing.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Anyone have an opinion on whether the Ramble vent cover sold at CW would work with the Fantastic Fan? It appears to allow more circulation with the additional side vents than the standard Maxxair vent cover.

http://tinyurl.com/lxyhw

Thanks, Bill
Attachments
Ramble Cover.jpg
Ramble Cover.jpg (9.87 KiB) Viewed 7500 times
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”