New Tires

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

BikerJohn

New Tires

Post by BikerJohn »

So, I'm due for new tires on our Born Free, which is a 2004 26' rear bath, E450, dually, V10. I've got quotes from two places to have Michelins LTX's put on and they are very close together in price - $1272 - $1390 for all 6 with balancing and tax. One place has sumitomo encounter's available for only $750 for all 6 tires. Has anyone had experience with these tires on their born free? Any suggestions on another brand we should look for?

We have taken our born free all over the country so ride quality and sound (quietness) means a lot to us. We've taken Addy Mo (short for adventure mobile - what my daughters call the RV) from Michigan to Boston, California, all around Lake Superior, Yellowstone, Florida, and Virginia. So she's been on a lot of trips and probably many more. So it just doesn't sit when we go on a trip, hence the need for a good set of tires. Thanks everyone for your input!

John
John

2004 26' Rear Bath owner!
randallrae

Re: New Tires

Post by randallrae »

I had a poor experience with Michelin and with their BFG tires . I agree with Bill Hemme , after researching Firestone Transforce HT , I purchased a set of 6 for my BF $1029.33 .
2012 25' rb
jlef123

Post by jlef123 »

I agree with the Firestones. Liked them a lot on my old coach. Will put them on my new coach when the Michelins time out.
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I just installed michelin XPS ribbed tires all around on mine, they'll prob outlast me. All steel belted, no nylon sidewalls. I had them road force checked and all tires were in the single digits, one had to be turned but ended up good. In general you get what you pay for. I run pretty much Michelin when able on all my vehicles, nary a problem. You can check what the UPS and FedEx trucks run and use that as a guideline also. IMO the only benefit to M/S tires is very light snow or mud, and then the tires have to be spinning fast enough to clean the lugs out. These RV's have so much weight on the tires if they lose contact with something substantial something might be amiss, I've been in mud and the tires will squish down to something solid, past that and you're in big trouble, M/S or not. I also don't carry a spare.
2013 23' FL on Ford E350 with all the goodies.
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

I took a different route. I bought Chinese Hercules 19.5s, steering tires in the front and m+s drive tires in the rear. They are less than half the cost of Michelins or Firestones, and so far (this will be my third season with them) have held up well. I bought them on the recommendation of my tire guys who've been installing them for several years on severe duty trucks, and haven't reported any failures with them at all.

I confess that I've always stayed away from Chinese-built tires like the plague, but these are made by Cooper under their direction so, with the recommendation of my trusted tire guys, I decided to give them a try. I change out my RV tires every five or six years regardless of tread depth, and I can put about two and a half sets on for the cost of a single set of Michelins.

So far, so good.
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I think this is going to be like the diesel vs. gas, oil filter, or which oil to use thread.:)
2013 23' FL on Ford E350 with all the goodies.
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

MarkB wrote:I think this is going to be like the diesel vs. gas, oil filter, or which oil to use thread.:)
Naah.... it's just good to have options.
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”