window screens

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

jobrien

window screens

Post by jobrien »

Now here is an interesting, thought provoking question......

Has anyone ever seen screens that would fit in the side windows of the Ford E-450?

Further explaination....with the windows down, and when parked for the day/night one would be able to leave these windows open without pesky little bugs flying in. Of course they would have to be removed to close the window, and probably would not need them while driving.

I did an internet search, searched the JC Whitney site, and could not find any such thing.

One site did have magnetic ones that went on the outside of the door.

A flexible frame and some screening material is all that is needed to make one that would fit into the window track. An interesting concept if they are not available.

John
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

John:

I know JC Whitney used to carry such a product back in the mid-1980s. I had a pair for my Chevy Van at the time. They attached magnetically - interior window frames were all metal at that time. Guess there wasn't enough demand to keep producing them.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
David and Susan Bratt

Post by David and Susan Bratt »

There was something like this is one of the Ten Minute tech books out there. I can't find it right now. They purchased window screening and attached it with velcro. It is possible to sew through window screening. I would think that it could be attached at the top and hang outside the window and it would keep most insects out. Security would be a concern. You would probably not want to leave the windows wide open when you were absent or at night.
Rover 2002 24ft RB

www.ourtravelswithrover.com
bonnietex2

Window Screens

Post by bonnietex2 »

We purchased screens for our 2003 RSB from Bug-Barrier Screen Corp., 6979 Wooster Pike, Medina OH 44256. Phone: 330-723-2551. The company does not advertise--say they get all the business they need by word of mouth.

We were camping with friends in July on the Maine Coast. We had a waterfront site but it was a very hot week and humid at night--using our air conditioner seemed almost sacriligious. We used a small fan while Our friends (who've had front screens for several years) were enjoying ventilation throughout their coach. The company name and phone number was printed on the screens so we called in our order and the screens were at the house when we got back. (They didn't help us that week, but we won't get stuck again!)

The screens have aluminum frames that fit in between the window gaskets and over the window glass (on the bottom) with a small felt flap that overlaps in the corners. They were pricey ($177) but worth it for the extra ventilation. We store them in a drawstring bag either behind the commode or on the cabover bed.

We are looking for an easy-on, easy-off zippered screen room for our coach. Does anyone out there ever use one? We have a separate dining tent--it's bulky. Would like to hear comments before we invest.
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Bonnietex2;

That's exactly what I was looking for. I saw them many years ago in a catalog, but of course could not find them now.

Thanks for the info.

Can't help you on the screen room, never owned one.

John
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

John:

Here is another source of window bug screens that are easier to install/remove and cost less than a third of what the Bug-Barrier brand costs. Also, you can raise and lower the windows while they are in place and roll them up for easy storage. Check 'em out!

http://www.skreenz.com/

Bill
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Bill;

Interesting idea, but according to the product description, I don't think it will work with the large side view mirrors we have. Don't think it could get a "bug proof" seal.

John
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Duplicate post
Last edited by bcope01 on Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

John:

From the "Frequently Asked Questions" section on their website:
My van door has a mirror outside. Will Skreenz fit?
Yes. We accommodate this problem by cutting a slot for the mirror and making a Velcro strap around the bottom of the mirror so the Skreenz will slip over the van door and still work properly. Some vehicles have power windows that require a slightly different mirrow opening in the Skreenz.
Also under the "Products" section of their website, they claim to make a product for the Class "C" Gulfstream BT Cruiser motorhome. This Gulfstream product uses the same Ford Van chassis and mirrors as our Born Free coaches.

Best way to find out if it fits our coach and provides a bug-proof seal is to give them a call and ask. If they work as claimed, then you'll have an extra $100 to spend for gas on you next trip. :D

I think it a real plus that you can adjust the size of the window opening while using this product. YMMV.

Bill
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”