Do you turn inverter off when using generator

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

soozeqsh7

Do you turn inverter off when using generator

Post by soozeqsh7 »

We have a 2013 born free, out in hot parking lot. Do we turn off inverter before using generator?
shilohdad

Re: Do you turn inverter off when using generator

Post by shilohdad »

Probably depends on the inverter and how it is wired. Our Outback inverter/charger in our 2017 Spirit automatically bypasses the inverter portion when it sees proper AC input (either shore power or generator), powering our internal AC outlets using that AC input. No need to turn the inverter off. As a matter of fact, I believe we need to have our inverter/charger turned on, as it also charges the batteries when it detects proper AC power.

Of course, our high draw equipment (air conditioner, microwave/convection oven, hot water heater and refrigerator) are not powered through the inverter, but always get their AC input from the shore line or generator.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

My 2013 uses the Xantrex Pro Series 1000. Here is what their website says--

A built-in transfer switch automatically detects when generator or shore power status changes to ensure power is always available.

I never mess with mine. I do know if I am hooked into shore power and run the generator it will throw a code, i.e. it doesn't like it, something about too much voltage or other.
2013 23' FL on Ford E350 with all the goodies.
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

We leave our inverter on all the time even when using our generator.
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle
Vlamgat

Post by Vlamgat »

One of the values of newer RV/Marine inverters is that they are wired in parallel with Generator power and absorb the higher instants ou loads from A/C and microwave starts. This is especially important of your generator has a low load idle capability as most seem to employ these days. The high demand from an appliance start up can kick the generator or the appliance off line unless the output from the generator at low speed is sufficient to provide the 30 % or higher start demand. The inverter will absorb this and most also have a plus rating that exceeds its nominal output for just this reason.

This allows me to run my a/c using a Honda 2000 generator which has a continuous output of 1600 watts whereas the a/c needs 2900 for start and 1500 continuous. The 2000 watt inverter provides this excess for about 5 seconds supported by the battery. After start up, the battery is recharged albeit slowly. I do find that the repeated loading of the battery for this purpose through the summer significantly shortens the 4D house battery life.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”