Coach batteries & Freezing water lines

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Trisha

pink stuff vs. air is a matter of geography

Post by Trisha »

I'd like to hear from our Alaska members....

Here in Central Minnesota, I'm not willing to take the risk of not using antifreeze. That stuff is only good to 40 below zero, and it actually gets that cold here. What do I do if we have a really, truly mean cold spell and it goes lower? Rarely, but not unheard of.

Yes, Montana and North Dakota and even Iowa and Wisconsin folks know what I mean...

We had a 33 degree night in Yellowstone on Labor day, and it was colder in Montana on the way home right after. All I did was leave the cupboard doors open. I figure if the tropical bird can survive, the pipes are probably okay...but I'm all for the additional heater in the bathroom.

I've camped in weather down to 20...many nights in a row... but leaving the thing without antifreeze once real winter sets in is just not an option, in my personal (maybe not so humble) opinion. In OR, I might. In MN, I won't...because below zero is just not that uncommon...I put the pink stuff in all the traps, check the toilet to make sure the seals are covered, open and drain everything, and then pump in the antifreeze.

I may not like it on my body or the taste, but I drink bottled water anyway...

I really think there may be a geographical component here. In 1996, in February, we had 28 or 29 days where we NEVER got above zero..not even the daytime highs. They were -5 and the lows were in the twenties and thirties below. Or colder. What works in a coastal area or a more southern area just won't work here. Even that pink stuff might not be enough.

My $.50 worth.. ($.02 isn't worth anything anymore).

As for leaks that destroy all the woodwork, heck, one doesn't need freezing weather for that. I have one and I *THINK* it's water being thrown up from the dually wheel well because we only get water if we DRIVE in the Rain. Not sitting, only driving. And it's black, brackish water. Not gray or black tank. More like Road Grime. How the heck can you diagnose a leak that only happens when you drive on rainy roads? It took a lot of hit and miss and trial and error. Still, all the woodwork on the driver's side that touches the floor is ruined, along with the carpet and who knows about the flooring. Major rework happening next month. We do know this leak NEVER happens when the rig is parked. No matter how we're hooked up or what water systems we use or don't. Only when we drive...... Thank god I bought new with a factory warranty that's still in effect! Born Free is going to regret my warranty! I've never been happier for it.

So even if you're meticulous about winterizing, you can still have a flood that destroys all your woodwork. <sigh>

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”