Help with WiFi Antenna

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Brent

Help with WiFi Antenna

Post by Brent »

I would like to be able to expand the ability of my laptop to pick up distant and weaker signals when using wifi.

At radio shack they recommended a more powerful "card" to insert into my laptop.

While reading on the net, a common recommendation is the "cantenna" type of antenna.

Any experience in the group?
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
whemme

Wireless Range Problems

Post by whemme »

Brent,

I can tell you my experiences with my wireless equipped Avertec 3150H laptop. The internal wireless card worked but I suffered very short range problems to the point that it was almost useless in most of the situations I encountered while on the road with my born Free. It works quite well with my wireless router at home because it is located only a few feet away but hardly ever worked out on the road or even in motels that offered wireless service.

I called Avertec customer service and complained and they said a dramatic increase in wireless range could be had by purchasing an external USB Network Adapter that had it's own antenna. So I did - I bought a LinkSys Model No. WUSB54G I think for $39.95 with the $20 rebate in effect at Staples at the time. This remote device is quite small and has greatly improved my wireless range. The adapter is quite small at only approximately 3" x 3" x 1/2" and easily fits in my laptop carrying case

To use this device, just shut off or disable your internal wireless card and plug this adapter into one of your USB ports and follow supplied instructions.

So my advice is that internal wireless cards seem to have range problems.
Attachments
Linksys USB Wireless Adapter
Linksys USB Wireless Adapter
Linksys USB Wireless Adapter.jpg (19.49 KiB) Viewed 3853 times
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
BornFree_n_Now

Greater WiFi Range

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

We have had great luck with the following equipment ~~