Awing Replacement Question

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

KevinVT

Awing Replacement Question

Post by KevinVT »

Hi folks,

I have a 2003 24RB. We had an unfortunate incident with our awing... the rear arm was damaged - caught on something while someone else was driving :-)

I am working with insurance, but the issue I am having is finding a replacement awing or parts. We have a Carefree of Colorado E-Z 12v electric awing. Carefree says the new Travel'r or Eclipse will fit the roller - however both of these require a flat mounting surface greater than the amount I have before the low part to the Born Free pitches back in. I guess I could mount them with a bracket or something... question:

Anyone replaced their older awing with newer ones? Any pictures out there? Anyone have a newer awing installed on an older Born Free? Looking for advice and options.

This is what it looks like if you can imagine a flat track mount to the side:

Notice how the flat track (which is 70 inch long on the Eclipse model) would hang over. Any one have this awing on their Born Free?

Thanks!
--Kevin
2003 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6685 -- 11/2003

(Former 2001 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6176 -- 9/2000)
(Former 2001 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6185 -- 3/2001)
randallrae

Re: Awing Replacement Question

Post by randallrae »

https://colawrvsalvage.com/ This link or any other rv salvage lot might have a used part
2012 25' rb
WardPAW

Post by WardPAW »

Kevin,

We visited Factory RV Surplus in Elkhart, IN in 2013. They have a lot of awning parts for various brands, including Carefree of Colorado.

This is their contact information.

1611 West Bristol St
Elkhart, IN 46514

574-262-3327

Corina Hahn
corina@factoryrvsurplus.com
http://www.factoryrvsurplus.com

We have a similar awning, so if you need some part numbers off of an indivdual part, let me know and I'll see if the part sticker is still on the bracket piece.
Ben Ward
2005 26 RSB, Diesel
RV Name: Lion PAW
KevinVT

Post by KevinVT »

Hey Ben,

Thank you, I am going to try to contact Factory RV Surplus tomorrow.

The part, or "parts" I need is the rear arm. The plastic housing at the top broke and the part that attaches at the top bracket looks broken. Here are a few images. If you have any part numbers on the arm that would be great - my stickers are gone. And Carefree sent me some info today on the parts they still have for this unit... and none of them appear to be what I need.

--Kevin

WardPAW

Post by WardPAW »

Kevin,

I checked our awning for part numbers and the only sticker remaining is the front inner adjustable arm.

Dt: 4362
Sn: 2076387177
Pn: WK0501-DG

The back rafter and Idler cover did not have any part stickers.

I have replaced the foot on each arm and the front bracket mounted on the coach. Both parts were plastic and were starting to show fatigue due to the sun. The new parts are alloy metal, no plastic.

I wish I could have been of more help. Good luck on your search.
Ben Ward
2005 26 RSB, Diesel
KevinVT

Post by KevinVT »

Ben,

This is helpful! I also called Factory RV Surplus (and emailed them some images) so they are looking for me as well.

Is this the front bracket you are using now (901019W)? I thought about upgrading to these "if" I can fix the arm.

Bottom Bracket = https://www.amazon.com/Carefree-901019W ... WQAX20XPZD

--Kevin
--Kevin

WardPAW

Post by WardPAW »

Kevin,

The referenced bracket is the one I installed. The foot piece at the bottum, 'other items purchased' with the bracket is also what I used.

I cut a piece of starboard plastic for the middle of the bracket. I tried to attach a photo, but the photo pixels are too many for this forum. Send me a private message with your email and I'll forward some photos, if desired.

As to fixing your broken rafter piece, a welding shop may be able to repair the rafter holes. The metal alloy is tricky to work with so a welding shop may not touch it.

As to the cover, a heat gun and some plastic may be your best option to fix the cover. It may not look pretty, but would work in a pinch. Two part epoxy works on some plastics as well.
Ben Ward
2005 26 RSB, Diesel

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”