Rear Door on BFT

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

John S.

Rear Door on BFT

Post by John S. »

We just received our BFT from the factory today. We love it. One question though, the rear door is very hard to open from the inside yet from the outside it opens a bit better. Any suggestions at what to look at or should I jsut take it in for service. I still need the papers to license it though and that is 2 weeks away.
John S.

rear door

Post by John S. »

Looked in the daylight and saw that one of the screws on the side of the door was out a small bit and was jamming the door closed. Turned them in a bit and now the door works fine.

b
John S.

Post by John S. »

Well we got it licensed and on the road and the door opening and now it squeeks alot. Is there some solution to this.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

OIL
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

John S. wrote:Well we got it licensed and on the road and the door opening and now it squeeks alot. Is there some solution to this.
We had a loud squeal on the rear door of our BFT. I tried oiling everything in sight to no avail. Then I saw a solution on this forum but I don't remember who posted it. Put two or three wraps of black electrical tape on the post for the door lock that sticks out of the door frame. Mine hasn't squealed since I did this and the tape has lasted for two seasons with more to go.
John S.

Post by John S. »

Great I will try it thanks
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

When I picked up my 26RSB, the door rattled during the test drive. The dealer adjusted the latch (silver piece on the door frame) to pull the door in tighter when it latched. No more rattle.

With the door closed, try pressing or pushing on the door and see if there is any movement.

Also, the screen door rubbed on mine on the lower corner, the side away from the hinges. I put a small piece of velcro (just the soft side) on the door and it stopped it from rubbing also. I could see where the white was rubbed off the door edge from rubbing.

John
John S.

rear doof

Post by John S. »

Ok I will look at that and thanks
John S.

Post by John S. »

It was the door stud. I moved it back a bit and it stopped the rattle. Now it is really quiet.

thanks for the suggestions.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”