Ford 2005 E-450 tire recall

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Ann P

Ford 2005 E-450 tire recall

Post by Ann P »

So, I got a notice from Ford about a "label correction" on my 2005 Ford Econoline cutaway,etc. (I have a 2005 26' RSB) I called the local Ford dealer, where I had just gotten an oil change. They researched it and said it looked like I would need 4 new rear tires due to something with the tire pressure and load range- they'll have to get more info.

Does Born Free use the same tires that come with the Ford or do they change them to something heavier or what? I will call Kim Olson tomorrow, but it seems to me that every 2005 BF owner would have gotten this notice unless it's just my rig...and why would it take almost 2 years for Ford to tell me?

I don't mind getting 4 new Michelin tires but what if Ford puts lighter ones not made for RV use? Will push Ford for more info but am not sure I trust them, and would like to hear from other 2005 BF owners.
tomdclark

Post by tomdclark »

I got one of those also. (I've got a 2005 24RB) I just assumed that it was literally a "label" change and didn't get too excited about it. If Ford is talking about a tire change, that's an entirely different story! Be sure to let us know what you find out.

I suffer from the problem not being able to find a Ford dealer that will work on RVs. A local RV Center that did some work for me (and can perform Ford Warrenty work) tried to do the Recall, but Ford said I had to go to a dealer -none of whom will do it (a curious Catch-22).
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

Yes, I want to hear also. I have the same catch 22.
Ann P

Post by Ann P »

Got the story from Born Free and Kim Olson. It's just a label certification thing, and BF had already put it on the driver's side door. So there are no free tires involved, and the local Ford places get confused about these things.

If you got the same recall notice, check your door labels and call Kim if questions.
tomdclark

Post by tomdclark »

After my previous post, I decided to get off my old, lazy (but still loveable :oops: ) rear end. I called and recalled some Ford dealers. One up in the next state ("Live Free or Die" New Hampsire) whom I had called before said he would help me. I drove the RV up there and after much waiting and phoning discovered that the recall amounted to changing a decal inside the front door. Of course, one must wait "a week to ten days" for Ford to find and deliver said decal to the dealer - at which time I must return to get it. I'm not certain that I'll bother.

Two thoughts: 1) It's small wonder that Ford and GM are about to go down the tubes and 2) I didn't realize when I got into RVing that it would be filled with such rich and life fulfilling experiences such as this.
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Seems a little curious that Ford could send you the 'Notice' and didn't think it a customer service to include the 'label'.....pardon me...decal...
Obviously the people in charge of such stuff are probably part of the problem Ford & Chevy are having with their sales going downhill....
:roll:
rv4fun

Post by rv4fun »

Just out of curiousity.. what did the new label say?.. what did the old label say?.. why the recall? After reading all this I'm dying to know.. Larry
tomdclark

Post by tomdclark »

I got the new labels today -two of them actually. One is inside the driver's door and the other inside the gas refill door. Both state that the MAX pressure for the rear tires is 80 PSI.

The old labels said 60 PSI, but had already been corrected by Born Free at the factory. Ford apparently wants to make sure the correction is done for liability reasons.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”