Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club

This forum is for Born Free Owners and those interested in owning a Born Free.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Outback Inverter Service
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:05 pm 

A while ago I asked this forum for help with a problem we were having with our FX2012MT Outback inverter with a MATE2M System Controller. See post "No power to outlets when connected to shore power" (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6369&p=34275&hilit=inverter#p34275). Here's the resolution of that issue.

I found Outback technical support to be relatively unhelpful. I discussed the problem with Chris who suggested replacing the entire $1700 inverter. He directed me to Photon Electric in Millersburg, IN as the best-priced place for parts. On my second call to Outback, this time with David, I was told that we really only needed a new AC board, $300. However, he didn't discuss the repair process. On our way to Arizona, I contacted their distributor in Flagstaff, AZ. Logan was responsive and gave me helpful information, and a number to call that I thought was a direct line to their service center in Phoenix. It was just another number for general support. When I spoke with Adam at Outback, he said that customers can't directly contact the service center and that they have no provision for expedited service. Their normal turn-around time is 10 days from receipt at their loading dock in Phoenix.

As we were headed home, I emailed Photon Electric about our problem. Nick said they could certainly help. When I asked if they could remove the inverter (it's under the floor of the house) and fix it if we drove the motorhome to them, Isaac said "No problem". We set up an appointment for this morning and we just returned from Indiana.

They were ready and waiting for us when we arrived. Alvin, who was responsible for all the hands-on work, immediately crawled under the chassis and started to work. It took two of them about an hour to get the unit out - several screw heads were plugged with dirt and road gunk (and they had to figure out how Born Free installed it). They put the unit on the bench and started diagnosing the problem. In the end, the problem was the AC board, which was what David at Outback guessed. However, Alvin also said that the board was under warranty, something that three Outback support people failed to mention even though they had the serial number. They put the repaired unit back in place and we did some final checks to make sure it was operating properly. We were back on the road in four hours and only paid for labor.

Photon Electric is a small business in the middle of Amish/Mennonite country in Indiana. They install solar power systems in the Michiana area and are a distributor and installer of Outback components. They were very friendly and helpful. Visiting their facility was a lot like visiting Born Free. We drove the coach into the garage, they situated us in a conference room, and they got to work right away. They don't advertise that they perform service on Outback components, so you'll have to ask.

If you need parts or service on your Outback Inverter, we'd recommend calling or emailing these folks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:27 pm 

Thank you for taking the time to relate this outcome.