Baja

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

BFrees

Baja

Post by BFrees »

Will be leaving for our first caravan in Jan. 2007. Going with Good Sam to Baja. Any recommendations or suggestions from veterans of any Baja trip would be most appreciated, or if you just want to share your experience, we would love to hear from you.
Ed & Ann Marie
2002 24' RSB
rv4fun

Post by rv4fun »

This is the first caravan trip ever for Connie and I. So, we too will welcome any tips from veterans. There are a couple of questions I've been wondering about:

1) What about drinking water? Is there good water available anywhere on the trip? Or do we need to carry 27 days worth of drinking water?

2) What about electricity? Is there a way to charge up while we're on the train in Copper Canyon? Is there electricity available at many of the overnite stops? Do we need any kind of adapters to fit the power receptacles in the Mexican campgrounds?

3) What about dumping black and gray water tanks? Is any kind of adapter needed to dump in Mexico? Are there reasonable toilet and shower facilities available at many of the overnite stops?

What other things should we be sure to bring during the trip?

Many thanks.. Connie and Larry
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

All:

Call Tracks RV Tours at 800-351-6053 for the latest info on the Copper Canyon/Baja caravan. A knowledgable, real person answers the phone right away and cheerfully answers all of your questions muy rapido! :)

If you learn something that you think may be of interest to others, please share it here.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
rv4fun

Post by rv4fun »

Bill, thanks for the phone no. I just got off the phone with Tracks RV Tours and here's what I learned:

1) Water.. It's a good idea to carry as much of your own drinking water as possible. There will be opportunities to purchase bottled drinking water at a few places in Baja but there aren't any opportunities during the Copper Canyon Train Ride.

2) Electricity.. Won't be available at all during the Copper Canyon train ride. It will be available at most overnite stops as we travel in Baja. But there will be 2 separate dry camping nites on beaches in Baja with no hookups. The electrical power available will vary between 50amp, 30amp and 15amp services. The sockets are not different from the electrical sockets in the USA so no special adapters will be needed.

3) Sewer.. This is similar to electricity. There will be full hookups (elect, water and sewer) available at all but two of the overnite campgrounds once we get to Baja. However, it's not recommended to drink any water from the hookups. But we will be able to dump our black and gray tanks at these campsites. There are not any hookups at all on the train ride. But there is one place, during the middle of the Copper Canyon train ride, where a room is reserved for us to use toilet facilities and take showers to freshen up.

4) Other.. no passports or visas are required because we're entering Mexico by land. But everyone needs to be able to prove their country and date of birth. So, you need to carry either a valid copy of your birth certificate or a valid passport.

:?: :?: Here's where I could still use some help. I'm concerned about any use of the Mexican water at campsites in Baja. I can use it, I think, only in my plumbing without putting any of it in my water tank. That would allow us flush our toilet and washup at the sinks in our Born Free. I'm not sure it's a wise idea. It might mean we'd need to sterilize our plumbing after the trip. That sounds like it might be a big deal. Does anyone have any thoughts on doing this? Are there any filters that would make the water in Mexico safe?.. Thanks in advance.. Larry

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”