Another Anti Sway Bar thread

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Tahoe

Another Anti Sway Bar thread

Post by Tahoe »

Its time to spend some more money. The last couple days the engine battery was dead so this weekend I'm replacing that, but since we can't go anywhere soon I've finally decided to put aftermarket anti sway bars on and get a new alignment. It has fairly new Bilstein shocks and I had the alignment checked last year. It needs more castor which is typical and that will probably help tremendously with wind instability. However after crawling under it today I noticed all my anti sway bar bushings were in poor shape. I could replace the bushings with poly bushings which would stiffen things up, but I've decided to go for upgraded bars front and rear. Theres a big price difference between Hellwig and Roadmaster and I've heard good reports on both brands. The Roadmaster seems to have a better front mount system and better overall reviews but before buying I'd thought I'd ask here. I can install myself so after the install I'll go for a drive to feel the difference and then get an alignment and compare once again. Might take me a month but can't go camping anyway.
Russ and Denise
2002 24RB
perleys

Re: Another Anti Sway Bar thread

Post by perleys »

I am interested in your findings and progress as well since that has been on my list for my 2004 26RSB. What does your phrase "It needs more castor" mean?
Sandy
Tahoe

Post by Tahoe »

perleys wrote:I am interested in your findings and progress as well since that has been on my list for my 2004 26RSB. What does your phrase "It needs more castor" mean?
Sandy
Sandy,

Here's a link to an explanation. FYI, I misspelled caster.
https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/how ... ct-driving
Russ and Denise
2002 24RB
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

The term is caster. It and camber are tire alignment terms. Look them up on Google for a diagram and a definition.

Here is a link I found using the search box above:

https://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin ... mit=Search

Pay particular attention to Bill Hemme’s post. Get an alignment first and judge the results before you do anything else.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Tahoe

Post by Tahoe »

A little background. Last year I needed tires on both our cars and one car needed an alignment. I asked the local dealer if he did RV alignments and since I just spent a bunch of money he offered to put our BF on the rack and do a quick check the next day. Everything was within spec but caster was only +2.5. He also knew that getting it to at least +5 would be an improvement. I promised I'd be back to get a new alignment, but one thing led to another so now is the time. I know that maybe the caster will solve most of the problem, but I'm a handling freak and know how upgrading sway bars on anything make a huge difference along with shocks, springs and an accurate alignment. I'll probably go with the Hellig bars since the price difference is a lot. Like $350+ less expensive, but maybe there's a convincing argument to go with the Roadmaster's. I've put off fixing this issue too long and now is good time to fix it. Before I order anything, I'm going to also check the price of just replacing the bushings. If it's not too expensive I could think about replacing those first then get the alignment. Just going with the poly bushings over the worn rubber could make a big improvement.
Russ and Denise
2002 24RB
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

Here's a link to my Hellwig swaybar install:

https://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin ... 554#p19554
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
Tahoe

Post by Tahoe »

tomzleapin wrote:Here's a link to my Hellwig swaybar install:

https://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin ... 554#p19554
Thanks! I have the same bad bushings in front however it didn't separate from the I beam. Mine are worn egg shaped and the bar will move by grabbing and pushing it. The rears are worn bad as well. Replacement bushing aren't that expensive but the I beam bushing are difficult to remove and replace. You almost need a press to get them in and out, but a chisel and other persuaders will work. I'm still checking prices and hoping for a sale to bring the price down a little. The Roadmasters are a much better design front and rear the way the end links attach, but price is hard to swallow.
Russ and Denise
2002 24RB
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

I recommend a rear track bar it will improve handling in strong winds and with passing trucks.
2012 25' rb
Tahoe

Post by Tahoe »

I considered a track bar, but it's a lateral locating device which helps with the tail wagging the dog. I don't have that problem. I have a sway problem or rocking side to side, partially because of worn bushings, partially from sway bars which should be bigger because the chassis is now a motorhome and not a van or small box truck. I think only one RV manufacturer actually offers an upgraded suspension option. You pay a lot for an RV and even though it adds to the overall cost they should leave the factory floor with an improved alignment, better shocks, and sway bars and track bars where needed to give a better driving experience. I know they aren't sports cars but they aren't boats either. Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now.

I bought anti sway bars yesterday on Craigslist. The seller sold is 2004 e450 class C a couple years ago, and never installed the sway bars. Still in the boxes, I bought his Roadmaster bars for less than half price, but had to drive 90 miles to pick them up. Still a bargain and I triple checked the part numbers and all parts in the boxes.. I was going to buy the Hellwig bars because of price, but the Roadmaster has better end link designs in my opinion. Both are made of the same material, both have poly bushings, both are an improvement over stock, but finding the bars on CL made up my mind. I hope to install them next week if we have a day or 2 of nice weather. After the install I'll give a quick update and I hope to take a short trip up and down the interstate on a windy day to test them out before getting the alignment done. Even if I don't get a windy day just a good drive through winding roads and the interstate should tell me how they work.
Russ and Denise
2002 24RB
perleys

Post by perleys »

Will be interested to see what you think after you install them Russ!
Tahoe

Post by Tahoe »

I got them installed this morning. I started with the back one thinking it would be the hardest, but it went on without any drama. You need to drill a hole in the frame but that was easy. The hole already exists, but needs to be enlarged and can be drilled by reaching through the wheel well without crawling underneath. The bar is much heavier than the stock one so I used the boxes the bars came in to support it so it was easier to lift in place. The front one looks easy and is to remove and install, but there are 2 custom brackets that get installed first that require a 30mm impact socket to remove and install a nut that attaches to a special bolt in the I beam. That bolt needs to be tapped up with a hammer after removing the nut, then you install the bracket and bring the bolt back down to reattach the 30mm nut. What a pain! You should be able to draw it back down by using a 14mm wrench but it wasn't that easy. It only took 45 minutes to put the rear bar on but the front took 3 hours. It took me 2 1/2 hours just to get those special bolts back down low enough to reattach the nuts. At least they're both installed now and do fit very nice. They appear to be super sturdy.. I wont be driving it today though. I never did get my new starting battery so the test drive will wait until i get that installed. Hoping for a sale on batteries but if not I'll get one before the end of the week. I normally buy Interstate or Optima batteries but the last Interstate I bought a year ago for our car went bad in 6 months. They exchanged it and the new one seems fine. My other car has an Optima which is over 8 years old and isn't showing any signs of going bad yet. The BF has an Interstate that was installed 5 years ago, but wont hold any charge anymore.
Russ and Denise
2002 24RB
perleys

Post by perleys »

That wasn't encouraging news about the Interstates! I just put two new interstates in my coach this week. There was a $20 off sale!
Tahoe

Post by Tahoe »

I bought a new battery yesterday morning and as luck would have it got pretty windy yesterday so I went for a drive. I noticed a big improvement driving through twisty corners at 50-55 mph which I expected. I also went along the west shore of our island with the gusty winds coming off the strait of Juan de Fuca and yes it was also an improvement. I wasn't getting blown around, but the steering still feels off so next is getting the alignment done. Unfortunately the local alignment guy can't do my alignment for maybe 2 months because they are upgrading their alignment bay for trucks, and because business has slowed for now they figured now was a good time to upgrade. He gave me the name of a shop 1 hour away which is the next closest. I called and can't get in for 2 weeks, but they will call if they get a cancellation. That works for me since I can't go anywhere anyway. I do plan on taking it for a longer drive in the next few days and get it out on the interstate just to give it some exercise after not driving it much since last fall. Next update whenever the alignment gets done.
Russ and Denise
2002 24RB
Tahoe

Post by Tahoe »

Still haven't done the alignment because I had both front brake calipers start to hang up causing very weird handling. They would bind slightly, but not all the time causing a slight darting from side to side. Since I don't have a strong enough jack and only have a gravel driveway I was forced to take it a shop. Replaced rotors, calipers, pads, seals and all is so much better. Took it for 100 mile drive to re-test sway bars and brakes. I may still get an alignment, but right now it drives really good and isnt affected by wind or semi's like it used to. I'm sure more caster will make it even better, but I'm going to hold off for a little while.
Russ and Denise
2002 24RB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”