Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club

This forum is for Born Free Owners and those interested in owning a Born Free.
It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:31 pm 
Site Admin

Born Free Casual Elegance 24' Class C Coach Motorhome on Ford E450 Chassis
Unique Stickers in back window - Oregon Ducks, State of Montana, PEACE, etc. Born Free LION Logo
STOLEN 5/31 about 620 am from the parking lot of the HOME 2 Suites by Hilton, 5100 Endicott Avenue, Fort Worth, Texas Police Report 200041578 Fort Worth PD 817-392-4222

Many personal sentimental items in the RV when it was stolen. Reward for return of personal items!
VIN #1FDXE45S36HA97394
We were relocating to Texas and stayed in the Home2 Suites by Hilton 5100 Endicott Ave, Fort Worth for 1 night, took only a few items into the hotel room. Hotel security footage shows thief stealing the RV. We had many many very personal sentimental items in the motorhome such as a file bin with my child’s baby book, and all the Mother’s Day cards I received for over 20 plus years. We were not aware that this was not a good neighborhood. WARN OTHERS about this area!
Email or call us or contact the police if you see our motorhome or any information regarding the theft or us:
910-992-2644 or cj1895ads@gmail.com

NOTE: This notice was posted for the owner by the Website Administrator (bfadmin-1) so contact them via the phone number or email address posted.

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 12.26.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 12.26.42 PM.png [ 162.38 KiB | Viewed 453 times ]
Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 12.26.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 12.26.16 PM.png [ 111.03 KiB | Viewed 453 times ]
Optimized-Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 12.25.49 PM.jpg
Optimized-Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 12.25.49 PM.jpg [ 142.82 KiB | Viewed 453 times ]

(bfadmin-1) Bill Hemme - Backup Administrator
(bfadmin) Email: bfadmin@bornfreervclub.org

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:49 pm 

Sad Story...
Anybody have any suggestions from the same thing not happening to you or me?
Any way to disable your BF while parked to keep someone from stealing it?
Pull a distributor wire. Steering wheel lock. Kill switch. What about OBD. etc?
Wonder how they stole this vehicle?
Thanks..

Last edited by stevek on Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:01 pm 

One solution. Stay in the coach overnight rather than in a motel!

2016 VW Golf GTI - toad

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:22 am 

Bummer! Hope they find it, & the thief who stole it!! Sorry to hear of this.....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:15 am 

It was my RV and we were in the process of relocating to Texas, searching for a home. We had been at a military campground for several days and many other campgrounds had little or no rest rooms open. Because we were moving the shower stall was full of boxes (clothing, personal items, etc). The thief was in our motorhome for over 30 minutes before pulling away (per the hotel security camera footage). If I was in the motorhome or walked into it, it could have been much worse. In the Dallas - Fort Worth area a is vehicle stolen every 54 minutes. I have traveled for many years in RVs and loved it! I always felt safe and would pull over in a Walmart parking lot, roadside parking area, rest stop, etc. This has rocked me! There was little gas in it, which is something I always do when I stop for the evening, in a well lite area. Police were not helpful in getting the word out about the theft, looking at hotel camera footage, contacting gas stations, etc. In my opinion, nothing will prevent someone from trying to steal. Since this happened I've read many stories of others who have had their RV stolen and worse. My advice would be alarms on the doors and windows. Maybe dog barking sounds. The police asked about any tracking devices, we had our computers and phones with us in the hotel room. Maybe a tracking device would help but many thieves have technology to jam these devices. I am sick about losing sentimental personal items like my child's baby book, Mother's day cards, etc. Do not stop or stay in large cities. Check crime rates in areas where you plan to stay. Please look at the photos of my motorhome and if you see it - please contact the police or me. Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:36 pm 

Thanks for the updated post. The experience is fresh in your mind at the moment, but I hope it doesn’t stop you from traveling in the future. You explanation of why you overnighted in a motel should satisfy Bill Hemme.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:49 am 

FOUND! My motorhome was discovered in front of a home, water and electric hooked up and the thief living inside of it. Damage included the drivers door lock, steering column and ignition, awning was removed, all of the stickers on the back window removed, cabinet doors broken. Many of our personal items are gone, our bedding and linens were used so we tossed those out. Drug paraphernalia found. License plate replaced with a 10 year old Texas Tag. The thief was arrested and charged and released on $1500 bond. The case goes to the Tarrant County Texas Grand Jury next week. The thief is saying he bought it from someone, does not know who and has no bill of sale. Who buys an RV that has to be started with a WRENCH? He has no keys, no title, no registration, etc. My child's baby book was found in the motorhome and was not where I had it filed so the dirtbag obviously touched it. Thank you to everyone who helped get the word out and my advice is take extra measures to keep your things safe. Keep all keys, titles, registration, etc with you. When you are parked overnight, be on or close to empty gasoline. The motorhome was found with no gas, less than 20 miles from where it was stolen. Additionally, the man arrested has prior robbery and assault charges!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:58 am 

:D Thats really great to hear :D
Just curious if you are going to any precautions so someone does not steal your BF again?
Besides the low gas tank.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:08 am 

I will not be rv'ing. This experience has rocked me. Two very personal items were stolen - a journal and a shutterfly made photo book both for my child. Many personal memories and experiences written in these books and the thief / person found in the motorhome was set free. Many priors and he was set free in Tarrant County Texas. It was a horrible experience that is haunting me. I feel exposed to a stranger, thief. I've spoken with others who have had similar experiences - motorhome stolen from a gas pump, in an RV park, campground, National Park. It is happening more and more and there really is no way to totally prevent it. Some people were in their motorhome and terrorized by thieves. It is horrible and there is no news coverage about it, especially at campgrounds and public locations; it seems to be hidden. My advice is do not have any 'personal items' in your motorhome/RV. Tracking devices seem to help some but your vehicle an still be damaged.