Dicor, Camco, Proflex, ?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

SeaKing1

Dicor, Camco, Proflex, ?

Post by SeaKing1 »

Anyone know what Born Free recommended for roof sealants around TV antenna, Plumbing vent, Fan, A/C on the roof?
I looked through the owners manual and searched this website, but couldn’t find anything.
When you go online it quickly gets confusing but one thing I found was that Sikaflex lasts longer and is good on fiberglass and aluminum roofs but it’s suitable for experienced professional users.
There are YouTube videos galore.
Many seem to use Dicor 501LSW, self leveling for horizontal surfaces. Literature states it helps create a seal along roof edges, roof vents, vent pipes, & screw heads. It’s compatible with any roofing material and offers excellent adhesion to aluminum, mortar, wood, vinyl, metal, & concrete. I couldn’t find that it’s okay with fiberglass except that literature says any roofing material.
Camco Self Leveling Sealant is a camper & RV roof sealant. It’s for EPDM, rubber, TPO, fiberglass, and more. It’s formulated for 1/4” & 3/8” beads and horizontal surfaces. It’s also low in VOC’s. (That’s a good thing)
Proflex RV flexible sealant is formulated for the RV industry. It’s used on aluminum, glass, steel, wood, fiberglass, & vinyl. DO NOT USE ON TPO, EPDM, STYROFOAM, SKYLIGHT GLAZING.
Proflex also can be exposed to adverse weather right after application & has excellent expansion/contraction properties to withstand joint movement and temperature changes.
This product was formulated for OEM Motorhome & RV waterproof technology.
Careful when using as it cures quickly.
Is there a consensus or best practice for roof sealants on our rigs?
Any reference or procedure advocated by the factory would be awesome.
Kris & Judy Cleveland
Upstate NY
2000 24 RSB
WardPAW

Re: Dicor, Camco, Proflex, ?

Post by WardPAW »

I used the Dicor sealant when I recently installed a Winegard antenna. Has held well for 2+ years since installation.
Attachments
IMG_6120.JPG
IMG_6120.JPG (42.01 KiB) Viewed 626 times
Ben Ward
2005 26 RSB, Diesel
RV Name: Lion PAW
SeaKing1

Re: Dicor, Camco, Proflex, ?

Post by SeaKing1 »

Thanks very much.
I’ve found that the self leveling Dicor is used frequently by many RV DIY owners.
On the FB site these comments were posted:
“Going be an old memory. I believe BornFree recommended silkaflex self leveling on the roof and the non leveling for the sides.”
“An RV repair guy once recommended Sikaflex 715 Self-leveling for the roof surfaces and Sikaflex 221 for the sides. I have had good results with both. Clean all surfaces with denatured alcohol first.”
“I believe my service tech has been using Proflex“
“I just started using Lexel white sealant VERY sticky but sticks to anything and works great so far. I tool with mineral spirits.“
“I’ve been using white NP1 caulk with great success“
I wish someone had a copy of a build sheet used at the factory for the products used.

From the owners manual:
211B7B04-3BE4-4685-9549-CC71F3C62D65.jpeg
211B7B04-3BE4-4685-9549-CC71F3C62D65.jpeg (134.52 KiB) Viewed 584 times
Kris & Judy Cleveland
Upstate NY
2000 24 RSB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”