Flat screen LCD TV for the rear bedroom

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

hrgermany

Post by hrgermany »

I have a 1995 BF 26 ft and would like to install a Flat screen LCD TV in the rear bed room that works on 12 Volts.Is there any body that has done this?
Hans Rueckert
KTnLen

Post by KTnLen »

We like having the bedroom setup with a 12V system so the grandkids can watch a DVD going down the road, or one of us can relax while the other is driving, etc.

The factory uses the Initial brand 17-inch flat screen with integrated DVD player. They seem to work quite well. Here is a link to their website:

http://www.initialdvd.com/?page=products_lcd
Jim & Betty Dickison

Post by Jim & Betty Dickison »

In September we had a 12 Volt 15" LCD TV with DVD Player (made by Adiovox) installed by Born Free in our 26 ft RSB. Born Free also made a shelf to hold our second satellite receiver and a VCR.
Jim & Betty Dickison
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Not being familiar with LCD TVs, are they all 12V?

Thanks, Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
GKarschnick

Post by GKarschnick »

We mounted a 13" Sharp Aquos flat screen on our 2005 26' RSB. or rather, we had Born Free in Clermont do it. It operates on 110 VAC only. We are quite happy with the setup and the picture.
KTnLen

Post by KTnLen »

bcope01 wrote:Not being familiar with LCD TVs, are they all 12V? Thanks, Bill
No, not all LCD TVs are 12V DC. But some are available with this option aimed at mobile and low energy use markets. The 21-inch Initiial LCD TV in the Born Free living room uses 120V AC -- but that can be used going down the road too -- see below. The living room TV has an integrated DVD player just like the bedroom TV does.

Xantrex Freedom 458 Inverter (Modified Sine Wave, 2kW)
Again, I'm not an electrical engineer (but my Dad was), but I mention the usefulness of an inverter when desiring to use non-12V products while on the move. For example, the in-motion satellite dish, DirecTV receiver, living room TV, Bose Wave Radio and CD player, coffee maker, microwave oven, laptop computer, and just about anything except for the air conditioning units, can be powered using the inverter without firing up the generator. The inverter draws power from the coach batteries, and they in turn are continuously recharged by the vehicle's alternator while the engine is running. The 12V products (interior lights, water pump, small TV, cell phone charger, etc) also use the coach batteries as a source. Not having to resort to the generator conserves fuel, keeps the noise down, and saves wear-and-tear on the generator unit.

I have begun switching on the 2000W inverter just before disconnecting from shore power and this permits all the 120V electrical gear to continue being powered so when it's needed on the road, there is no startup period (resetting clocks, DirecTV receiver search mode, in-motion satellite acquisition mode, for example). The inverter overcomes those minor irritants, and the vehicle alternator quickly recharges the coach batteries once underway.

In-motion Wireless Internet Access
Oh, and I have just acquired a Sony Ericsson GC89 wireless network card for our laptops that will allow me to connect to T-Mobile's wireless cellular network , or to networks of similar service providers, anywhere there is a signal. These are also called 'air cards' by some service providers. The cconnection speeds will vary with signal strength, but we should see better than dialup speeds under most conditions while moving, and approaching DSL speeds when near a T-Mobile hotspot (e.g. Starbucks, Borders, FedEx-Kinko's, Hyatt properties, airports, etc). Since I am still working full-time, this adds to my mobility, and is a worthwhile expense at $50 per month.

Wireless Amplifier (Cell Phone, Internet Access Card)
To help the signal strength situation, I have also purchased a Wilson 3-watt dual band amplifier and magnetic mount antenna which is designed to boost the signal of cell phones, and can be used with the network card as well. The claims, backed by customer results, is that cell phone and network access is at least doubled, and can be up to 50 miles from the nearest tower under good conditions. This should really help acquire and stay connected with both cell phone and internet while cruising or parked. Oh, and all the gear is portable from one vehicle to the next, with 12V as the power source (that's why I was bringing it up in the first place.) All told, the amplifier, antennas (I purchased two styles), ground plane disc, and a carrying case cost $315 and shipping was $9.

That's my 2.32 cents (Cdn) worth anyway.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Len (or is it Cathleen?), thanks for the good info. Maybe you should have followed in your dad's footsteps and become an electrical engineer. :wink:

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”