Any videos for winterizing a 2016 Born Free "Freedom" model??

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

harbhippo

Any videos for winterizing a 2016 Born Free "Freedom" model??

Post by harbhippo »

I found a video on this site for winterizing a 1985 model, but none of the things match my 2016 Freedom model. The instructions in the downloadable Owner's Manual say things like "search for other drain valves" (gee, thanks for that), and "locate the brass 3-way siphon valve" and that sort of thing. A video would hopefully have some lovely young RVer smiling and pointing to them helpfully. Of course, I'd settle for an ugly old man like me.

I scoured YouTube, and found many winterizing videos, but none for the Born Free Freedom model, 2016, or similar. One said to pour the pink anti-freeze into the fresh water tank and then run all the faucets and the toilet and shower, which sort of makes sense, but another says to never do that or you'll taste the anti-freeze for months to come. (Is it really that hard to rinse out?) But in any case, I'd still need to find the drain valve things.

So if anybody knows of such a video, please let me know. I wish I could call the 1-800 number, but... you know. No time machine.
SeaKing1

Re: Any videos for winterizing a 2016 Born Free "Freedom" model??

Post by SeaKing1 »

Found this owner manual on this site that might help
It’s not a video but page 17 tells you what to do…
https://bornfreervclub.org/Documents/Ma ... Models.pdf
Kris & Judy Cleveland
Upstate NY
2000 24 RSB
John S.

Post by John S. »

You can do it and it will rinse out after a tank of water runs thru. You do not need to fill the tank on my 2015 royal splendor as I have a winterizing valve that lets me use the pump to push he water. Pull the rod ont he water heater or it will take 6 or 10 gallons so you can cut that off that way.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.
harbhippo

Post by harbhippo »

Thanks, John! If I can count on flushing out the pink stuff after winter, I will use that method. As I understand it, you put in two gallons (for my size tank) of the pink stuff, turn on the pump, and run each faucet in turn until I see pink, including the toilet. That should also put pink stuff in the holding tanks. Then if and when I find the low point drain, I run pink out of that too, and that should have all pipes and drains in the pink (see what I did there?)

I've also found a guy who does RV repair on site, and he will show me the valves involved (the low ones underneath are likely really important!), and I think that once I see them I can find them again in the spring and winter.
perleys

Post by perleys »

Your tech will probably remind you but it is always recommended that you pour some pink stuff in the p traps of the sinks and showers.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”