Front End Clunk on E Chassis

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

George Boley

Front End Clunk on E Chassis

Post by George Boley »

For some time now I have heard a clunk on the front passenger side. It was only apparent when going at creeping speed on rough,off-pavement terrain. Well, when I finally got to that project, it turned out to be a worn rubber bushing in the stabilizing bar system.
One checks it out as follows: put the coach on a very LEVEL surface, such as a driveway. This is important, to make sure the stabilizer bar has no tension on it. The stabilizer is just forward of the front axle and held in place with four #15 metric bolts. By removing these bolts, the stabilizer bar can be carefully pulled out of the rubber bushings (one in each twin front axle). You may have to work the bar over and past the tie rods, but it will come fine. Once removed, inspect the ends of the bar where it went throught the bushings. If the bushings are worn, the bar will hit on the axle (thus the noise) and the contact point will be hammered and shiny. The rubber bushing will also be worn, most likely oblong like mine.
The rubber bushing is Ford Part # F2UZ5K486A and cost only $12.92. Reportedly (from Ford) the bushing is removed by ruining it and it's steel sleeve with a chisel. That's the easy part. The new bushing with it's sleeve must then be preseed into the axle.
This is where I am at. Do I screw up my courage and chisel the old one out with the hope of getting the new one back in, or do I admit defeat and have Ford do it? I would put the new part in the freezer to contract it as much as possible, so hopefully it goes in easier, but if it doesn't, then what?
Has anyone had any experience in replacing one? George B
Dave Cassidy

Post by Dave Cassidy »

Good morning George,
I have no experience with replacing this bushing,but I have been in similar situations with other parts that must be pressed in for replacement.
I'd say go for it. Chisel the old one off,try your best to fit the new one on & if you're unable to,take it to a machine shop,or Ford to have it done.
Shouldn't cost much to simply press it on after the r&r is already done.
Happy New Year to y'all,
Dave Cassidy
RVN4US

Bushing

Post by RVN4US »

George,

After reading your past posts in this forum, I would say go for it, but with my luck and past experience I would go to the local Ford Dealer. Good Luck and Happy New Year to all readers.

RVN4US
George Boley

Post by George Boley »

Thought you might appreciate an update. Went to the Ford Garage today, flat labor rate to install one bushing is $154 (Florida). The mechanic (OOPS) technician, said he had never done one, and assumed (there's that weasel word) you would drive it in. Left not feeling warm and fuzzy. Getting more confident in myself all the time. Stay tuned!
George B

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”