I got locked out of my BF, 3 rd time!

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

stevek

I got locked out of my BF, 3 rd time!

Post by stevek »

This about the 3rd time it's happened. I am driving. Side door is fully locked. Stop and park. Exit the drivers door and walk around and unlock side door. Close side door. Leave unlocked. Leave drivers door unlock. Go for short walk, come back and everything is locked up! What happened?

Moral to story. ALWAYS CARRY A SPARE KEY on your person 24/7 !!

Any ideas what happened, or did I do something wrong?
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
ebaron

Re: I got locked out of my BF, 3 rd time!

Post by ebaron »

So we have a 2007 E450 chassis. We both stepped out at same time, with RV still running and doors locked as they shut! Yikes, we were in the middle of the Watkins Glen racetrack. What we’ve learned, is for some reason, the lock switch on door is in such a position that you can activate it as you exit the coach. Now, I have a key hidden somewhere on coach.

So we learned yet another thing. We thought, well, we little kids all around, and thought, we’ll open the storage compartment under the couch, and convince one to slide under and open our door! Great idea, we just need a key to the round key compartment locks. No problem, we are surrounded by RVs, those keys are the same right? Well, what we found, was that everyone’s RVs used normal keys and did not have the round keys. We even spotted a Born Free..score!…nope, the owners weren’t nearby. Luckily after an hour, security opened up the RV.

So moral of the story…yep, hide a key somewhere!
Ed
2008 27RSB
stevek

Post by stevek »

Thanks. I did not realize I can disable the auto lock feature. I looked at my owners manual and yes I can. I will think about it. Plus I did a hide a key.

Another place to get locked out is the side door. Assume you lock both outside locks on the side door. From the inside you unlock the side door using the "switch" and exit the vehicle and auto locks the 2 cab doors. You will get locked out exiting from the side door. This has happened to me. More than once!!
Steve
CA/OR border
stevek

Post by stevek »

Just curious, when were the keyless door entries offered on the Born Free?
Was it standard, or an option? Does this kind of lock, still have the old fashion key/ backup. Thanks
Steve
CA/OR border
harbhippo

Post by harbhippo »

Ours is a 2016 (or maybe 2015, the Ford part of it seems to be an earlier year), and has the keyless entry. I sort of thought it had been standard for a while.
If you don't have that, I guess the pdf I sent won't help at all.
Unless you want to, you know, replace your whole door or something. But carrying keys 24/7 may be the best solution.
But to answer the rest of your question, yes keys also.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”