Interested in feedback on a F550 chassis

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

ebaron

Interested in feedback on a F550 chassis

Post by ebaron »

So we’re enjoying another trip in our 27’ RSB with our trusty dog. But, she thinks a born free with a slide may provide a bit more space to sprawl out. For me, I think the heavier chassis with diesel would make towing a toad or our boat an even easier drive. I miss the torque and engine braking that I get from my F250 diesel.

Thinking a Royal Splendor 31’ or a Royal Imperial 34’ might give us that little bit more space. We really like having the rear side bed and prefer to keep that option, so not sure the shorter models offer it. Though more space is nice, a little concerned over the 34’ length, as we also enjoy the convenience of using our 27’ for day trips and accessibility to some tighter state parks.

Interested in hearing your experience with the F550 chassis with diesel, as well as experience with the layouts available. A Dodge chassis and Cummins may also be of interest. I have 2011 F250 with diesel, and have been very happy with it.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!
Ed
2008 27RSB
John S.

Re: Interested in feedback on a F550 chassis

Post by John S. »

I love my royal splendor it is 29.5 feet or the 27 foot version with no slide. I like the none slide model as we are always home. It has plenty of power to tow my jeep. It drives like a dream I have owned 6 rvs including big diesel pushers as well as three BF. The slide gives you more floor space but at extra weight and issues. We have two dogs in our coach.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.
ebaron

Post by ebaron »

John S. wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:34 pm I love my royal splendor it is 29.5 feet or the 27 foot version with no slide. I like the none slide model as we are always home. It has plenty of power to tow my jeep. It drives like a dream I have owned 6 rvs including big diesel pushers as well as three BF. The slide gives you more floor space but at extra weight and issues. We have two dogs in our coach.

Thank you John for your info! I’m starting to think the same of ‘always being home’ with a non slide version. The Royal Imperial with slides looks appealing at first, but we are seeing the benefits more and more of the Splendor layout. We have a 27’ RSB, and it pretty much matches the layout.

Is your F550 a gas or diesel?

Do you have the standard factory suspension?

I saw your original post when you ordered yours and you mentioned that you felt you could go further with the Splendor than the Foretravel.Can you elaborate on that?
Ed
2008 27RSB
John S.

Post by John S. »

I love the F550. It it gets about 11 or so MPG depending if I am towing or not. If I pull the jeep I am at 9 if I am without it and on the flatlands I get 12. I can go further in some ways and not in others. The ways that I can go further is that it is easy to drive and it also gets better milage. That increases the distance you can go. I think the Foretravel has a bit more range but I have to stop anyway. I can fit in more places and driving it is easy with just the cruise control. The Foretravel you would need to downshift to go up hills. I climb the hill at the speed limit or whatever speed I am going. I have a diesel chassis and diesel generator. It is a great package. I am also looking at getting a truck camper on the f550 as well. This will give me more options and have a lift and bigger tires. The current BF on the F550 uses Liquid Springs and they are great.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.
ebaron

Post by ebaron »

Thanks John for the added info! Just what I needed. I’m learning more about the liquid springs, very interesting setup.
Ed
2008 27RSB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”