Air Bags

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

RVN4US

Air Bags

Post by RVN4US »

I have a 2001 23RK w/450 chassis. We are not towing & weight Is around 12500-12750 How much air should I have in the air bags?
Thanks.
whemme

Air Bag Pressure

Post by whemme »

I think the general recommendation by the factory is to inflate the airbags to 55 psi and that is what I use in my 2002 BF 26' RSB coach.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
RVN4US

Air Bag Pressure

Post by RVN4US »

I had checked the tires the other day, and thought that I should have more than 30# in the air bags. We are leaving for Florida on the 11th, so thought I should have things right. Appreciate the comeback, and hope a "Happy New Year" for you and yours.
norijake

Post by norijake »

I also run 55 psi, or as close as I can ascertain such, in the air bags on our '04 26RB.

Maybe it's that I am experiencing an age-related slowing of reflexes, but, when I'm checking the pressure in the bags, I can't seem to get the pressure gage off the valve stem before I lose 10-15 lbs of pressure. Ergo, when pressurizing the bags, I pump them up to approximately 70 psi, disconnect the pump, check the pressure with my hand pressure gage and if it is 55 psi, +/- 5 lbs, I accept what I have.

I don't seem to have the same problem with the tire pressure, probably because of the larger size. The bags do fill very, very rapidly compared to the tires and there is a maximum pressure on the air bags of 90 psi, a pressure that, depending upon your source of air, is reached very quickly.

Rupturing a bag may prove to be a costly repair.

BTW, it's just another *&$##^ day in paradise - FL wx this week - lows in the mid 60's, highs in the high 70's, a little precip - perfect for a nice, morning jog 8)
2004 26' RB
Judy Madnick

Post by Judy Madnick »

norijake wrote:BTW, it's just another *&$##^ day in paradise - FL wx this week - lows in the mid 60's, highs in the high 70's, a little precip - perfect for a nice, morning jog 8)
Heck, it was 70 here in Albany, NY, earlier this afternoon. Who needs Florida? :lol: :lol: Just kidding, of course. It will be cooling off here dramatically this coming week.
tomdclark

Post by tomdclark »

I keep mine at 55 +/- 5 psi. I discovered after a while that an old fashioned bicycle pump works best for adjusting the pressure. A few pumps and it's there. The volume of the air bags must be quite small. We often take our bikes with us (sort of tadpoles rather than toads :) ) , so we usually have the pump handy anyway.
Mel Wilbur

Air bags

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Using the factory suggested 55psi is always a safe bet. However you may want to experiment with different settings to see if more or less causes your coach to ride and handle the best. In our case, a 2002 26RB, I am currently using 40psi which gives the most comfortable ride and overall handling but the coach is equipped with IPD sway bars and Koni shocks which would make a different situation than the stock setup.
Mel & Connie
rv4fun

Post by rv4fun »

I run our airbags at 70 psi when towing our 3800lb boat. That helps counteract the tongue weight of the trailer and seems to provide good stability while towing. When I'm not towing, I run it at 55 psi. By the way our coach has a sticker by the valves used to fill the air bags that recommends 55 psi and also warns not to exceed 90 psi.

When I fill it with a 110 volt compressor, I watch the compressor's pressure gauge. I stop filling it when it's about 5 psi higher than the pressure I'm shooting for. I then bleed off the excess air with a handheld pressure gauge. That process works pretty well for me.. Larry
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

We're close to maximum weight on the rear axle. With 75# in the rear tires we reduced the airbags to 25-30#s to balance out the harsh ride. The rear end rides a little lower and we have to watch the dips and steep driveways a little closer to keep from dragging.

Last summer we spent time on some very rough backcountry roads. While on the wash board roads we reduced the rear tire pressure to 55# and the air bags to the minimum and kept the speed under 30. It helped a lot but not enough to keep things in the cupboards :!:

Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
BornFree_n_Now

Air Bag Pressure

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

Air Lift makes a compressor system with a 2 gallon holding tank which allows you to adjust your air bags while you are driving down the road so you can increase your pressure when going through a dip, and then lower it again when on level ground and desiring of a softer ride ~~ works very well for us :>) We placed the controls for it under the passenger seat facing the driver so the gauges and controls can be viewed and reached by the driver ~~ The added benefit of this system allows for the filling of coach and toad tires, and whatever other use you might have for compressed air. We typically run our bags between 50-55 PSI.
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”