Electrical SNAFU

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

norijake

Electrical SNAFU

Post by norijake »

I just spent the better part of two days correcting an electrical problem that some of you may be experiencing also. The problem was that every time we would attempt to use a small, counter-top, electric, toaster oven or my wife would use her hair dryer, both high wattage devices, the circuit breaker on the front of the inverter would pop and kill power to all the 110v. outlets. It didn’t matter that we were not using the inverter to supply 110v., i.e. plugged into shore power or using the gen-set, the inverter protection circuit breaker (7.5a.) would pop.

I had checked the electrical box and wrongly assumed that there were two 110 circuits, one 15a. and one 20a. Since the inverter was rated at 400 watts (Xantrex RS400 sine wave inverter) I had assumed, again wrongly, that the inverter was wired to operate the TV outlet only. On closer investigation, I found that the installer, not sure who that was because it was completed for the PO, had pulled a wire off the 20a. c/b and installed an AC outlet to power the inverter. Both 110v. circuit supplies were then attached to the output of the inverter and this meant that all AC power, regardless of the source, had to run through the inverter and were therefore “protectedâ€
2004 26' RB
Ed & Idonna Bryson

Post by Ed & Idonna Bryson »

Nori & Jake -

Amen & Amen

You are lucky to have found your problem BEFORE you and your RV went up in smoke.

The RS400 only has a 6 amp transfer switch and is NOT intended (IMHO) for any kind of hardwiring to some general use 15/20amp outlets. More especially the ones in the kitchen where hi amperage is always wanted to heat something.

Hardwiring it to a dedicated outlet for the TV or for a computer or something is great.

I think the GOOD news is that you popped the fuse/breaker on the RS400 before you got into more trouble but as you've found out, for all of us, even with fuses in place wires crammed into small areas can overheat, melt insulation and short with the chance of overload and fire.

So maybe all people with an inverter should recheck their wiring soon and avoid your problems. I'm sure there are some installers that will fit a square peg in a round whole to sell an inverter to an RVer.

-Ed
1997 24RB President
"The Lion & The Lamb"

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”