Replacing the Airbags

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Nancy

Replacing the Airbags

Post by Nancy »

Has anyone had to do this? Did you replace with something from camping world or get a replacement from the factory?
2005 26' RSB Casual Elegance
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

Thank you Sam. I got in touch with Kim yesterday and he is sending a set of airbags to me. It just ticks me off that this is the second time this has happened. Last time it was when we were in FL and it was fixed right there where we lived. Now here is SC I have no idea where to take it. Most RV places here don't work on the chassis. I guess we have to limp to Camping World next week.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Nancy:

Do you have any idea why your airbags have failed twice (and on such a new rig)? I haven't had a problem yet, but if there is something I should look out for, I would aprreciate knowing about it.

Thanks, Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

I have no idea. Actually it wasn't twice on the same unit. Our first BF did it too. We only have 8k miles on this one and it failed. I know we need to get out more.

Kim said they recently changed the airbags to what Sam has described and is sending them to me. We will see what happens now.
David and Susan Bratt

Post by David and Susan Bratt »

How does one know when an airbag no longer works?
Rover 2002 24ft RB

www.ourtravelswithrover.com
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

We have the 32 footer and I have already been in the shop 3X with the Link system on the rear of the coach. There was and air leak(s) that caused the compressed air tank to drain below the safe level and the red dash light would come on if the unit sat for a day or two.

They replaced a bad connector but the problem did not go away. I worked with Link customer service and they agreed to have the valves replaced since these tend to be very difficult to detect when leaking. I had them replaced but the system still drains down to below the safe driving limit and it takes 10 minutes to pump them back up before I can drive again. I have not had the time to mess with them again since the BF is in winter storage but as soon as the weather warms a bit I will check it out again.
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

bcope01 wrote:Nancy:Do you have any idea why your airbags have failed twice (and on such a new rig)? I haven't had a problem yet, but if there is something I should look out for, I would aprreciate knowing about it. Thanks, Bill
I don't know why your air bag failed but I do know that when my 2005 BFT was delivered one of the air bags was installed so that the exhaust pipe heat shield rubbed on it. The mfg installation instructions call for a half inch clearance. I had the heat shield repositioned under warranty. My point is that it is a pretty tight installation and if not done carefully, things could rub the bags. One additional note, the exhaust system changes length from cold to hot and that can change the clearance to the heat shield.
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

Well I guess I will be crawling under there to have a look tomorrow. My husband is so conscious of the tire pressure and airbag pressure he makes me nuts. He is a safety nut, but I guess that could be a good thing and the reason we have a BF.

Thanks for all the feedback, I really appreciate it.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”