30 amp

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

jkeffer

30 amp

Post by jkeffer »

We just finished wondering why this unit has only a 30amp power capability. I was microwaving potatoes, had the Fantastic fan on, the bathroom fan, and the TV. The microwave went off and couldn't get it restarted for awhile. The fuses were all intact and the breaker hadn't gone off. Still don't know what the problem was. But really would like to know why this unit didn't come with 50 amp capability.
:shock:
whemme

30 Amp Service

Post by whemme »

The only high power requirement items in the 26' and smaller Born Free motorcoaches are the air conditioner and the microwave oven and they easily run OK off a 30 amp service. I guess I don't see the need for a 50 amp service for these coaches.

The only problem I have ever experienced is when I have tried to run the air conditioner, the microwave oven and a toaster all at the same time. If using shore line power, this will cause the 30 amp circuit breaker on the shore line power pole to open or if running the 4000 watt Onan generator, it will cause the 30 amp circuit breaker on the generator to open.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Watch out also for the little electric space heaters - 1,500 watts each - big current draw. And remember the AC heat strip draws significant current also. These are usually added to the power mix in the winter months, and we may forget to factor their use in. I agree with Bill, I don't see a need for 50 amp service, since with a little power management, 30 amp service will suffice.

PS. My problems arise when I'm plugged into only 20 amp service at my house. :roll:

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
BornFree_n_Now

Voltage Booster

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

We have found the addition of a voltage booster to be helpful

~ see previous discussion:

http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... ight=#2343 ~~
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

bcope01 wrote:Watch out also for the little electric space heaters - 1,500 watts each - big current draw. And remember the AC heat strip draws significant current also.
...and there is the electric water heating element. Its intermitent and easy to forget which will have you scratching your head.

Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
jkeffer

30 amp

Post by jkeffer »

I don't want to have to worry every time I am using the coach to see if I am using too much power. Can the unit be rewired for 50 amp?
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

When using AC electricity remember that 30 amps will only provide 3600 watts of power. If you draw more current to feed the stuff drawing power but you exceed the load design of the circuit, the breaker will open. Watts equals volts times amps. If you increase the watts but hold the volts constant then amps have to increase which can exceed the breaker load preset and cause it to trip. Sharing the loads across several circuits will lower the chance of one breaker having too much current load but the main could trip; either in the main panel or on the source post.

Power management is more essential with lower service panels.

A microwave will eat about 900-1100 watts while on high but will surge to 1500 when initially turned on.

An average hair dryer will eat 1000-1800 watts.

Throw in a heater or toaster or air conditioner with the other lighting loads, converter, battery charge and TV and you can easily exceed 3600 watts.

50 amp service is really 100 amps of electricity on two busses out of phase to keep the voltage at 120 volts. This gives you 12,000 watts of power; a huge difference from 30amp service.

Living with this much power is great and power management is only a consideration when plugged into lower current sources and using the generator.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”