Deciding between a Lazy Daze and Born Free

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Roger H

Post by Roger H »

Yep, Sam... I did look at the BFT, but it had a couple of issues, not the least of which WAS the rear door and automatic step. That would be a problem towing. I really REALLY wanted a 7.3l diesel, but I'm also realistic enough to realize that I may never actually see one for sale, especially at a price I was willing to spring for. This V10 23RK was available, in like-new condition, and was at a price I was willing to pay and it was at the factory... so we got it. I can't tell you how pleased I am with it!

Roger
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

Roger H wrote:Yep, Sam... I did look at the BFT, but it had a couple of issues, not the least of which WAS the rear door and automatic step. That would be a problem towing.
This year we started towing a toad 4 wheels down with our 22BFT. The rear door opens and the step comes down without interference. You need to be a bit careful coming down the steps to avoid getting your feet tangled in your safety cables but it is very manageable for the few times you do this while towing. I find the V-10 a great engine for towing and barely feel the car back there. My gas mileage was still above 10 mpg going over mountain passes on our two trips (650 miles) with the toad. I'm very pleased with the way it has worked out.
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

Sam Ryan wrote:When I was at the BF factory in Iowa in January 2006 for four days, there was a 23RK gas, out front in the used line-up. That one may now be yours?
I don't think mine was there that long... I was under the impression that they'd only had it about four or five weeks when I came along... but who knows?

Roger
nccampguy

Now I AM a twin bed versus jacknife expert!

Post by nccampguy »

Folks,

I just returned from my 2500 mile round trip to the BF factory. I now have (1) jacknife sofa and (1) twin bed.

As others have said, the jacknife is different for sure. There is definately two levels. The back section is lower than the front section and is even a thinner foam I'd say. So, you get a firmer bed in the back section and a softer bed if you sleep on the outer section. And yes, it is easy to end up in the crack between them!

The twin bed is great! But, the jacknife will give you two places to sleep. I slept for 6 nights in a row on the jacknife and found did ok. I ended up on the lower section nearest the window.

The folks at BF were great and got me in and out very quickly.

Jeff in NC
RVN4US

Post by RVN4US »

Roger, I think that you are right, your 23RK was only there 4-6 weeks. Jeff, Did you get some levelers on your unit while you were in Iowa. HWH has the factory in Iowa.
nccampguy

Post by nccampguy »

I did get the levelers put on at HWH. I went all out and got the automatic system. I am not too happy with how "level" it make it though. I think it needs to be recalibrated as to what level is. I haven't had a chance to look into it yet.
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

For all you HWH jack folks, I live about 8 miles north of the HWH facility. Look me up when you're in the neighborhood!

Roger
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

Wet bath vs. dry bath. I have the 26' RB, so I have a full shower. (Dry bath). I wouldn't be without it. for one, I can actually shower in it, it's big enough, and I frequently use it rather than going into showers where strange feet (and strange funguses etc) have been. Have done the gym thing and don't like having to deal with athletes foot or whatever.

I also store my dirty laundry in the shower when on the road. If I have clothes that are damp, I will put them on hangers and hook them on the shower fan handle to dry. The shower is a useful thing for more than just showers. Yes, I dry the bottom off (I dry it off anyway (squeege) to prevent mold...and so I can use it for storage.

It just gives the whole room a little bit more of a 'open' feeling.

So I wouldn't want a wet bath.. I'd have to shower elsewhere. There isn't always an elsewhere and wet baths are a pain to dry out with all that stuff in there.

I not only need a dedicated shower, I nixed all brands and types that didn't have a shower I could comfortably shower in, or didn't have a nice amount of light in there.

I am VERY pleased with my BF Rear Bath. (Oh, and I don't wear makeup. Waste of money, waste of time, and attracts insects.) My personal opinion only. :) I know most women do, and I probably would look better if I did, but I can be ready to go in 15 minutes or less, because I don't have to do all that. My ex always said he liked me better without makeup. He was sincere, I'm sure. So makeup application isn't a factor in my wet bath/dry bath decision.!

Trish

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”