Getting loaded......

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

jobrien

Getting loaded......

Post by jobrien »

Now that I caught your attention, here's my loading question...

I have Verizon DSL service, which is normally pretty fast. When I click on the Leap'n Lions home page it pops right up. But, when I then click on the forum, it is sloooow to load. Even when I click on a topic to look at the new posts, it is also slow.

Other web sites I visist seem to be working fine.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there work being done on the forum?

Not a big problem, I'm just more curious than anything else.

John
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Have to agree with you...I have DSL here at home & this website is the only one that takes a long time to download from the beginning and to any individual web page. :(
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

I have Cox Cable and all pages on this website download as quick as any other sites. Must be a DSL-thing (internet provider setting), or maybe it is a browser (IE, Netscape, Firefox) security setting.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
whemme

Born Free Leap'n Lions Club Website Download Speed

Post by whemme »

I have high speed internet via our cities cable TV service using a cable modem. Our club's website pages all download for me fast and at the same speed as any other website address. I don't know why our website's Discussion Forum pages should be slower for some people.

That is a puzzle.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
John S.

Post by John S. »

We have Sprint or Embark or whatever they are calling themselves today DSL and it is asa fast as anyother page. Now Yahoo is much slower.... go figure...
RVN4US

Getting Loaded

Post by RVN4US »

We have Qwest Premium DSL and everthing is fast here !!!!!!
BornFree_n_Now

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

Road Runner with 10 meg download package and “with the Phishing Filter onâ€
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
norijake

Post by norijake »

John,

I had been experiencing the same problem; I, too, have Verizon DSL albeit with the reduced speed. I attributed the slowness to that. However, today I upgraded my Mozilla FireFox which I had ceased using some time back, and gave it another try. Voila, speediness returns! Now I may keep using FireFox whenever I have a chance to surf. It appears to be noticeably faster than IE.

Also in the FireFox upgrade was a neat add-on called "Stumble!" With it you can denote certain areas of interest and, when the urge strikes, click on "Stumble!" from the toolbar and FireFox will randomly load websites with that subject as the search topic - fun and quick way to surf.

Jake
Steve

Post by Steve »

OK, guess I'll throw in my 2 cents here. Where is the server for the BF forum located? Remember it all depends on congestion on the "net", time of day, routing of your data, etc. Now it can also depend on what OS (operating system) you have, no problems if you have Win2K or XP (not MAC's) as the RWIN setting is already 1500 on those machines, now if you have an older machine it is usually optimized for dial up service rather than broadband (cable, DSL, Satellite) you can test this yourself by going to a site like DSL Reports and reading their info:http://www.dslreports.com/
There are a lot of other speed sites out their also.
Now latency is also a problem depending on your service, some DSL has lower latency than cable while others have more, just depends on your provider. If you have the older Qwest CAP service you have LOW latency, but if you have the newer DMT (as I do) then longer latency. You can test this by using the ping command at the DOS prompt in Windows.
There are SO Many things that can make the connection slow it is beyond the scope of this forum to list them. Hope I didn't ramble too much.
Steve
Ray'n Mary

Getting Loaded....

Post by Ray'n Mary »

My experience is somewhere in the middle of the others'. First, forums in general can be a bit slower to load. Especially those, such as this one, that have tons of entries, and oodles of goodies such as emoticons, color, photos, video, etc. That said, they, also like this one, usually are worth the wait.

Second, as others have said, the local connection can be major factor. Mine is DHL too, but not the speediest. Further, we're in a neighborhood where there are lots of users on the local "line," esp evenings. Ordinary uses such as e-mails aren't effected at all, but the "fatter" the website or transmissions such as large photos, are noticeably "slow." And in this day and age, even 5-10 seconds' waits are boring, boring!

I've been tempted to switch to cable, but haven't because cable--at least here--tends to have more outages (or blips, same diff). Plus costs more. Plus pain in the neck to make the switch!
Steve

Post by Steve »

Ray,
You are probably on a remote DSLAM for your DSL. You need to call your local telco and complain of speed slowdowns, they will need to add more T1's to the remote, usually on first turnup they only install two (T1"s at 1.5MB/sec each) they have the capability to go to 8, the older only 4.
Cable has the same problem, even more so as they usually oversubscribe the node (too many customers on the same node/cable box) http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc ... /cable.htm
I think the original spec called for only 20 customers, but believe they usually have over 100 now.
Steve
Ray'n Mary

Post by Ray'n Mary »

Steve,
Thanks for the nudge. I haven't talked to Verizon for several months. When I did they said they were working on it. Guess it's time to mobilize some neighbors and give Verizon some heat.
Ray
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

What Steve said.

I was the very first on my T1. We have a 10MB/sec down. My speed tests are usually fast for this dsl, Frontier. However...

And I think this is important, the browser you use makes a huge difference. If you're surfing with IE7, (UGH!) you will have much more to deal with. I run Mozilla Firefox most of the time, except on MSN because MSN is set up to use Microsoft Live and it tries to tell me that my Mozilla is rejecting cookies (it's not.)

IE7 is loaded with spyware. I won't use it except when absolutely necessary. Actually, I don't even use IE7, I'm still using 6 and refuse to download 7. Microsoft lost my trust. What ever did happen to their anti-trust suit with the feds anyway??? Are they giving them so much info from us that it got forgiven? Hmmmm......

Mozilla is faster. I also use ad block and it really speeds things up on many sites. You can customize it. Do.

IE7 is as bloated as Office and Windows now. If cars ran like windows... we'd all be having lemon law suits.

So, it could be a combination of things, like what Steve said. From oversubscribed nodes to browsers, to 0perating systems. To your own settings.

Good luck! I don't notice much delay.

Trish

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”