Understep Light

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Peter Robinson

Understep Light

Post by Peter Robinson »

Our 2006 BFT has a rear center door under step light that comes on when the door is opened. It appears to be activated by magnetic contacts in the door frame. Since we often have the rear outer door open using only the screen for extended periods when dry camping in the daytime or at night and no need for the light at that time I would like to eliminate power draw and light pollution without permanently disconnecting the light. Does anyone have experience with this?
Dude

Post by Dude »

I am a new Born Free owner but I have had popups for a few years and I know they have the under step light as well...not automatic, hooked up to a switch inside.

I see I have a light there as well but it isn't working. I plan on replacing it with an LED light. LED's draw next to no power and still do the job.

When I replace it I will wire it up to a switch inside so I have control of it.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

You could pull the fuse but its likely powering other things you need. Pulling the bulb would be a solution but it would not be convenient should you want the light on occasion. Matt's solution is the best but it will involve some work. In that case I would seriously consider bypassing the magnetic switch entirely.
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”