Sliding Bathroom Door

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

CANDE

Sliding Bathroom Door

Post by CANDE »

We are in the process of ordering a new BF 24' RB. We have been told by Phil at BF that someone has installed a sliding bathroom door and is selling kits. We have been unable to find anything in the archives. Can anyone help us out with pictures, measurements, or kit information? Thank you for your assistance. :lol:

CANDE
Ed and Carol Freye
2016 Born Free 29' Splendor
Towing a 2014 Mini Cooper Coupe
Guy Carter

Post by Guy Carter »

You might try Camping World. They have a spring loaded plastic door that rolls up into a holder - much like a old window shade that's mounted vertically. It has a wiper to remove most of the water after a shower. We had one in another brand of rv and it worked OK.
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Cande....I went through the archives also because I'm positive that there was a posting with pics showing how this could be done. You might consider contacting (sending a PM or calling) Mel or Bill (Hemme). They are always on top of what is posted here. Mel has made some incredible changes to his BF and may be able to help you. Sorry I couldn't find the infor. for you but I know I saw a post regarding same. 8)
iowaride

Sliding bathroom door

Post by iowaride »

I was thinking that I had read the thread about the sliding bathroom door conversion on the previous Leapin' Lions website, www.bornfreervclub.com I checked that site this morning and it is not there that I can find.
I even Googled keywords relating to sliding bathroom door, Born Free door conversion and many other combinations trying to find that thread, but no luck.
I agree with Charlotte about checking with Mel or Bill Hemme.

Sharon Harrington
iowaride

Sliding bathroom door

Post by iowaride »

Cande, you are asking for the sliding conversion to replace the wooden, hinged bathroom door aren't you? That is the type of door I was searching for after your post. Or are you asking about shower curtain/doors?

Sharon
George Boley

Post by George Boley »

Cande, It was Bob Scott that built the sliding door. He did a wonderful job, but he is not selling a kit. George B
George Boley
Knowledge will never be lost, provided it is shared
Sab & Ann

Sliding Door

Post by Sab & Ann »

It was Jim Hilles that designed and installed the sliding door. He had a complete write-up on 8/15/04. He did show it to Born Free but they were not interested.
Sab & Ann
2000 RB, E450
Mel Wilbur

sliding door

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Cande, unfortunately the posting from Jim Hillis was on the old club board and those records do not go back that far. You may want to contact Jim directly for info and possible pictures.
Mel & Connie
jhillis625

Sliding door addmission and pictures

Post by jhillis625 »

CANDE has been in touch with me thanks to some who have saw the door.
I knew early on that that door needed to be changed for 3 reasons.
first- when I needed to exit the bathroom and wife was somewhere near with the door in the open position the stove or microwave it means I have to wait until it was safe to exit.
second- the door was not secure in the open position while traveling.
Third- with the door in the open position it make for less space to inter the coach.

At a rally here I Florida in the fall of 2002 Harold Brigode showed me his sliding door on his coach. Thats when I got busy and come up with my Design which is more compact than Harolds, I just took his design and done a upgrade.

I did show it to some of the folks at the Bornfree factory in July of 2003, I John Dodgen wasn't there at the time.
I will attach a few pictures for your viewing.
As for kits I haven't offered any.
I did modify a 2005 24rb about 18 months ago for a member of this group.
Attachments
Sliding door mirror on the side.JPG
Sliding door mirror on the side.JPG (142.96 KiB) Viewed 21174 times
Sliding door hanger front view.JPG
Sliding door hanger front view.JPG (84.42 KiB) Viewed 21174 times
SD attach hanger.JPG
SD attach hanger.JPG (128.91 KiB) Viewed 21174 times
CANDE

Sliding Bathroom Door

Post by CANDE »

Ed and I would like to Thank everyone for responding. The information received was helpful and is enabling us to proceeded with the sliding door.
Thank you once again.

CANDE
Ed and Carol Freye
2016 Born Free 29' Splendor
Towing a 2014 Mini Cooper Coupe
Ed & Idonna Bryson

Post by Ed & Idonna Bryson »

thanx a lot - now i've got ANOTHER project i just HAVE to do!!!!

Seriously - it looks beautiful and i will be adding it, someday, to our rig.

-Ed
1997 24RB President
"The Lion & The Lamb"
Tonyg

sliding door temporary solution

Post by Tonyg »

I'm also interested in a change to the door in our 24'RB. As a temporary fix we took the door off and put a frabric curtain on a rod which easily slides out of the way and gives plenty of privacy since it's just the two of us that travel.

No noise when traveling and saves about 37 lbs. Much easier access to the closet also. Eventually would like to get some type of folding door but for us this is fine for now.

Tony
thestoloffs

Post by thestoloffs »

All, this might be a fix we'll need to make a BFT accessible to my wife (from her scooter). Can anyone advise the components necessary? Thanks!
Marilynn & Gerry Stoloff
Coconut Creek, FL
Former owner of 26' Mobility
CuJo's Pride

Re: Sliding Bathroom Door

Post by CuJo's Pride »

I love the door. Sorry Curt another project !!
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle
CuJo's Pride

Re: Sliding Bathroom Door

Post by CuJo's Pride »

We can't change our door to a slide :( We don't have any place for the door to slide, our closet is to close to the bathroom. Bummer...
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”