How Long Are You Spending in Your 24FT RB?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

wjhgolf

How Long Are You Spending in Your 24FT RB?

Post by wjhgolf »

For all of you 24ft RB owners, how long have you spent away from home in your Born Free at any one time? We have been out for 7 1/2 weeks (last spring) and we could have stayed out longer. Before we bought our BF, we spoke to a couple (who actually convinced us to purchase a BF) and they had spent 3 months before. Happy Trails!
Bill and Sharyn Hill
Clarkston, MI
2002 24ft RB
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

Not in a 24' RB, but in our 27' RSB we spent 5 months in 2012. It will probably be another 5-6 months this year, and if all works out, 7-8 months in 2014 when we head for Alaska.
wjhgolf

5 - 8 Months Out

Post by wjhgolf »

i can't remember........do you pull a toad with your 26RSB?
Bill and Sharyn Hill
Clarkston, MI
2002 24ft RB
jlef123

Post by jlef123 »

We just met a couple at the Florida RV Super Show Rally who are full timing in a 24' and they do not have a toad. Don't think anyone can beat that. If they read this perhaps they will fill you in on how they do it.
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond
al1florida

Re: 5 - 8 Months Out

Post by al1florida »

wjhgolf wrote:i can't remember........do you pull a toad with your 26RSB?
No Toad. We do pull a 5x8 utility trailer, partly for my wife's electric scooter and for some extra storage space. I also have a 30 gallon water tank in the trailer. The 35 gallons in the BF doesn't last long enough with the boondocking/dry camping we do. Gray and black water tanks are fine, but we always run out of fresh water before the tanks fill.

I don't want to pull a vehicle. You can't back up with a toad attached. We drive off into the boondocks on dirt/gravel roads and places where turning around entails backing up. A couple of times last year I turned around with the trailer attached by backing and pulling forward 6-7 times before I finally got turned around.

I am looking to change the trailer to a swivel wheel trailer before we leave this year. http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel.html
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

I've spent six months in mine and fully intend to live in it [or a new one] in the near future. OTOH, I may keep the 'sticks & bricks' and just 'snowbird'.
wjhgolf

Trailer towing

Post by wjhgolf »

So, Al......it sounds like your current trailer has traditional fixed wheels. Is it enclosed or open?
Bill and Sharyn Hill
Clarkston, MI
2002 24ft RB
David and Susan Bratt

Post by David and Susan Bratt »

We spend 3 months at a time in Rover, our 24RB - in Europe - and I don't really want to come home.
Rover 2002 24ft RB

www.ourtravelswithrover.com
thestoloffs

Post by thestoloffs »

We've spent 20 of the last 40 months in our 26' Mobility BF, and we're still talking to each other! :wink:
Marilynn & Gerry Stoloff
Coconut Creek, FL
Former owner of 26' Mobility
al1florida

Re: Trailer towing

Post by al1florida »

wjhgolf wrote:So, Al......it sounds like your current trailer has traditional fixed wheels. Is it enclosed or open?
It is enclosed.

One big down side to a small trailer is, the trailer is a real pain to back up. Some reasons:
-- since the trailer is narrow, I can't see it in the mirror, until it turns so far I can't straighten the trailer out. My solution is, when I back up the trailer, I attach flags which stick out from the rear of the trailer. Now I can see the trailer and gauge how far it is turning.
-- I can't see the trailer well enough in the rear camera to gauge how far or quickly it is turning.
-- Since the trailer is short, it turns a lot quicker than my 26' of vehicle. Once the trailer starts to turn farther than you want, it is hard to correct the turn. One reason 18 wheelers are easy to back up is that, the tractor is so much shorter than the trailer. Since the tractor turns so much quicker than the trailer it is easy to correct how far or quickly the trailer is turning.
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

We met someone on Jekyll Island that has been full-timing in a 24RB for over 5 years. No toad.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
dowellcj

Post by dowellcj »

We just lived in ours for 7 months while we were building.
Caryl & Tom Dowell
Sequim, WA
2015 Splendor (27 RSB)
Prior coach 2008 24RB
TheBizMan

Post by TheBizMan »

Spent 6 months last year in our 22' BFT. Plan on being out 6-7 months this year. Don't pull a toad, but are thinking about it.
Lee-TheBizMan
2005 BFT - named "Tilly"
2012 Scion xD "Toad"

William Higbie

Post by William Higbie »

I stay 3 or 4 months in my 26 rsb. I pull a toad since it is easy to do, more convenient to drive around at 30 mpg and not unhook my bf. Costs very little to pull the toad. Some minor inconveniences when gassing up. Most important I can park anywhere and drive most anywhere with my car. Just my opinion, lots of others on here.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

I don't stay out more than 2-3 weeks in my BFT, but I do occasionally pull a toad for the same reason others have voiced, once set up at the campsite buzzing around in a car that get 40 mpg just makes more sense to me.

Bill
Attachments
100_0029x640.jpg
100_0029x640.jpg (277.64 KiB) Viewed 13321 times
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”